Imperial Stout Imperial Bastard Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Imperial Bastard Stout
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #11
mixmasterob
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Marietta, GA
Posts: 249

how much does this usually run to get all the ingredients? i am super anxious to brew a good imperial stout.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
huntsman
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
South Carolina
Posts: 63
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dn3ckstyl3z View Post
6.6lbs dark syrup malt
3lbs dark DME
1/4lb black patent
1/2lb crystal
1/4lb chocolate malt
1/2lb roasted barley
1lb Dark Brown Sugar
1oz Challenger hops (60min boil)
1oz Cascade hops (30min boil)
1oz Cascade hops (15min boil)
1/4tsp Irish moss
Irish ale yeast (White Labs) or equivalent

Bring 1.5-2gal water to 150F, steep grains (in grain bag) for 15min.
Remove grains and bring water to boil.
Dissolve all malt extract and honey, and return water to rolling boil.
Add hops according to schedule above for total 60min boil time.
Add Irish moss at final 15min.
Pour into fermenter with 3gal cold water (top off to 5gal if necessary) and pitch yeast at approx. 80F.

Ferment 8-10 days in primary, then rack and ferment 5-7 days in secondary.
Prime with 3/4 cup priming sugar and bottle.
Age 3-4 weeks in bottles.


Great beer with a kick. It is damn near 10%ABV
I don't see honey in the ingredients list?????


__________________
A Day Is Not Wasted As Long As You Learn Something New

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 AM   #13
bottweiser
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
CT
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsman View Post
I don't see honey in the ingredients list?????
Maybe he meant the brown sugar?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
beninan
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Maine
Posts: 994
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


Brewed this up last night with a little modification. My boil batch was 2.5 gallons and I steeped for 30 min. My OG was only 1.078 though, and when I typed the recipe in several calculators I got OG's anywhere from 1.075- 1.088, nowhere near 1.099. So I'm not sure what went different there...
I may also change the fermentation times to 1-1.5 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3-4 weeks bottle.
This smells awesome already and I can't wait until its ready!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
beninan
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Maine
Posts: 994
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


So I think I caught it just in time. I opened the fermenting closet to inspect/sniff and found the lid on my fermenter bowed out almost to the point of blowing the lid off. So stupidly I pulled the air lock off and sprayed foam all over the ceiling. Blow off tube is now installed. I did not use a yeast starter as well, and from what I see, I don't think it needs one!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
adamhimself
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Texas, Texas
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Brewed this up last night with a little modification. My boil batch was 2.5 gallons and I steeped for 30 min. My OG was only 1.078 though, and when I typed the recipe in several calculators I got OG's anywhere from 1.075- 1.088, nowhere near 1.099. So I'm not sure what went different there...
I may also change the fermentation times to 1-1.5 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3-4 weeks bottle.
This smells awesome already and I can't wait until its ready!
I am curious as to how this turned out for you?

And also for the OP... I am trying to figure out why you don't see too many Imperial Stout extract recipes?

MarsingRedneck Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #17
beninan
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Maine
Posts: 994
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhimself View Post
I am curious as to how this turned out for you?

And also for the OP... I am trying to figure out why you don't see too many Imperial Stout extract recipes?
It turned out pretty good, but due to a heat wave we had here while it was fermenting, it fermented at 80-82 degrees, and now has a hint of banana taste. But this was before I found out what a swamp cooler was.

I took it to a family reunion at my grandparent's house last year and it was a big hit. I only have one left and I've been letting it sit to see how it turns out.

I had an OG of 1.078 and and FG of 1.022, 7.3% ABV with this recipe, so I'm not sure what may have happened there.
__________________
"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #18
adamhimself
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Texas, Texas
Posts: 136
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
It turned out pretty good, but due to a heat wave we had here while it was fermenting, it fermented at 80-82 degrees, and now has a hint of banana taste. But this was before I found out what a swamp cooler was.

I took it to a family reunion at my grandparent's house last year and it was a big hit. I only have one left and I've been letting it sit to see how it turns out.

I had an OG of 1.078 and and FG of 1.022, 7.3% ABV with this recipe, so I'm not sure what may have happened there.
Was it a bit too sweet?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #19
beninan
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Maine
Posts: 994
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


I thought it was about average in sweetness for a stout, so I didn't think it was too sweet. Just the banana flavor from hot fermentation was a little off. Just try to keep the temp under control if you do brew this.
__________________
"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 AM   #20
evans5150
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


This is my second year of brewing it and I don't think I'm adding enough yeast. I will try 2 vials next year or at least do a starter. Good experience with it so far! This year I had an OG of 1.096.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imperial stout verses Imperial porter Brewpastor Recipes/Ingredients 20 03-26-2015 02:57 PM
Needy Bastard (Guinness Like Stout) Anarchos Recipes/Ingredients 3 02-10-2012 04:04 AM
Imperial IBA (Fat Bastard) critique Poobah58 Recipes/Ingredients 8 12-21-2011 05:34 AM
Imperial Bastard Poobah58 Homebrew Ale Recipes 6 11-07-2010 12:27 AM
'Cheeky Bastard' English Stout Evan! Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 05-13-2008 02:59 PM


Forum Jump