Who's right? Charlie Papazian or tastybrew.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Or rather, why is there such a big discrepancy:

In CP's book, page 166, he says 5 lb of light malt extract/ 5 gallon would give a final gravity of 1.035 to 1.039, resulting in 3 to 3.5% ABV.

CP does not say if this is dry or liquid ME, but later on he says 1 lb of liquid ME/gallon should give an OG of 1.033 to 1.038 and dry ME gives 1.038 to 1.042

Tastybrew.com calculator says liquid ME would give 1.026 (2.5% ABV).

That is a big difference. What do you think?

Cheers!

This is me theorizing, but maybe there's a discrepancy based on what brand of malt you're using. Each company must be using a slightly different technique and a different source of malt....so I can see why there wouldn't be just one solid number. It's more an average.

In my experience with Briess DME, the tastybrew calculators have been right on the money.

Do any LMEs give only 1.026 per pound per gallon? That sounds really low.

Briess website has their "white papers" available on their LME and DME.

According to Briess their LME has .034 p/lb/g and their DME has .042 p/lb/g.

I've tried to find Munton's technical info on their extract products without success, I would assume it is similar if not the same as Briess.

Briess and Munton's are the 2 largest suppliers of extracts, so maybe there is another company out there with a lower point/p/lb/g, but I only use Briess or Muntons.

1.034 it is then.
Thanks for the info Schnitzengiggle
Cheers!

Back