Fermenters - What are you using - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenters - What are you using
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
BillyBeer
Recipes 

May 2009
Vancouver, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am thinking of some different foodgrade plastic containers to use as fermentors and I made me wonder what everyone else is using besides the standard Carboy's and Ale Pales.

Here is a link to what I am looking at:

Open Head Drums - US Plastic Corporation

I can get a couple of these from work for free.

Happy 4th!

Primary: Empty
Red Chair NWPA, Dim Wit

Secondary: Empty

Keg: RedShift IPA, Bootstrap IPA, Dos Equis, Albino Pale Ale, Total Domination Clone, Rye IPA, Grant's Perfect Porter, Cascadian Dark Ale, IIPA

Old 07-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #2
Ragutis
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Fayetteville, AR
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I use three sanke kegs for fermenting my 10-12 gallon batches. I use a standard 5 gal glass carboy for apfelwein and small batches. I also have a 7.75 gallon keg for smaller batches.
The kegs work great. I want some more.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
OMJ
Recipes 

May 2009
Camp Hill, PA
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
I use three sanke kegs for fermenting my 10-12 gallon batches. I use a standard 5 gal glass carboy for apfelwein and small batches. I also have a 7.75 gallon keg for smaller batches.
The kegs work great. I want some more.
I use a kegs too but I need to get a couple more.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
BillyBeer
Recipes 

May 2009
Vancouver, WA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How are the Kegs configured? Do you have any pictures?

Primary: Empty
Red Chair NWPA, Dim Wit

Secondary: Empty

Keg: RedShift IPA, Bootstrap IPA, Dos Equis, Albino Pale Ale, Total Domination Clone, Rye IPA, Grant's Perfect Porter, Cascadian Dark Ale, IIPA

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Droot
Recipes 

Jun 2009
West By golly Shelby NY
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a 1/2 keg with the top cut off and a ball valve in the bottom. I just place a large pan lid over the top, so its open ferment. Never had a problem. I do rack as soon as ferment is complete. No leaving it for weeks.

<~~~~ this is boil kettle, fermenter looks the same.

Switching to a 7 gal conical this weekend. First time out of the box. Still going to brew 10 gal batches, but am trying the no chill thing for the other 5 gals.

David

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Reason: can't speel for chit

Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 335 Times on 169 Posts

I use the ale pales, but I also use this 15 gallon malt extract barrel.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Liked 1252 Times on 958 Posts

I'm lazy, I've been fermenting in my kettle. Chill and pitch, ferment 10 - 12 days and keg. I do seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string. Don't laugh too hard till you try it.
Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless.
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044, 44-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
Irie5447
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Cleveland, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I'm lazy, I've been fermenting in my kettle. Chill and pitch, ferment 10 - 12 days and keg. I do seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string. Don't laugh too hard till you try it.
Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless.
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044, 44-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Wow. all that work to not properly ferment? It won't take that much longer to transfer to proper fermentor...

Old 07-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Liked 1252 Times on 958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie5447 View Post
Wow. all that work to not properly ferment? It won't take that much longer to transfer to proper fermentor...
And what's not proper about a stainless vessel?? Also no risk of infection during transfer, as there is none. During active fermentation I believe your beer doesn't need to sealed away like a lab experiment...the Co2 provides postive pressure to keep the unwanted "stuff" out. When fermentation is complete, the beer gets racked to a keg and purged w/ Co2. I don't muck around, and practice sound sanitaion w/ star san at every turn.

I believe Jamille Z. has done it this way and reported positive results...I just do what works for me and thought I would share.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Lincoln Park, MI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
And what's not proper about a stainless vessel?? Also no risk of infection during transfer, as there is none. During active fermentation I believe your beer doesn't need to sealed away like a lab experiment...the Co2 provides postive pressure to keep the unwanted "stuff" out. When fermentation is complete, the beer gets racked to a keg and purged w/ Co2. I don't muck around, and practice sound sanitaion w/ star san at every turn.
+1, many people dump the entire contents into the fermenter, so if you are ok with keeping the trub, it's just eliminating one step. I agree the fermenter just didn't to be "tightly" sealed, I'm just using tinfoil as it is.

Could you explain or provide a picture of "...seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string...". Whats the bag and string for?