Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > want to start messing with my water!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default want to start messing with my water!

Ok, so i am ready to start playing with water chemistry! I have been using my tap water mixed with pure water but I want to get more precise. I am brewing all grain.

I will be starting with pure water from the water windmill (pay by the gallon place)

Here are my questions

1. I have bought Gypsum, Calcium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate and burtons water salt. What else do I need?

2. By starting with pure water, what and how much stuff do I need to add

3. Is there a "recipe" I can use for all my beers? If so, does anyone have a good one?

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

1. I'd suggest a wide-spectrum nutrient like Wyeast's. Epsom salt if you need Mg, but your grains (and nutrient) probably have enough.

2. Brewing Water Chemistry Calculator | Brewer's Friend

3. Aforementioned site has a nice general profile.
OD: ?
Keg: Simple AIPA (2-row, Chinook, Cascade, WLP090)
Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used standard baking soda (NaHCO3) and sea salt (NaCl) as well.

I start with Reverse Osmosis water and then build up depending on style. I would recommend using some of the online calculators to learn how much each salt contributes to your batch in parts per million, then use the profiles to try and get as close as you can. This is what I do.

The main difference I've seen is with my hoppy beers. To accentuate the hop profile and bitterness, water for these brews are often very high in sulfates (200+ppm) as they bring out the bitterness (get this from adding gypsum).

One thing to watch out for is your mash. A rule of thumb that I've seen is that there should be at least 50 ppm of Calcium in the mash. Something to think about when you are building your water.

Good luck!