Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > HBT Pilots...MMW, with request

Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
MMW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default HBT Pilots...MMW, with request

I know there are several here and to be honest, I need a butt kickin'.

I'm a 60 hour student pilot and have been working on my PPL since the end of April '08. I took a break from September to March of this year due to work reasons and just missed all of June due to family, work, weather, and plane availability.

I'm close, though. Very close. I flew with my instructor this morning (to renew my again expired solo endorsement) and his words were: "If you can take a month off and fly like that, there's no excuse for you to not have your ticket."

What remains:
*Shore up ground reference maneuvers: Air time should clear these back up.
*Flight by reference to instruments: 0.7 hours required to meet the recs.
*Short field landings: On the mark, on the center line.
*Written. I'm scheduling today. I've been putting it off far too long.

Where I need help:
I need someone to stay on my hide about finishing this up. My goal is checkride passed, ticket in hand by the first week of August. Is there anybody who'd care to check in every few days or so and publicly humiliate me or something if I haven't made any progress?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm not a pilot, but an expert ass kicker. Get your license, you procrastinating boob.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I'm not a pilot, but an expert ass kicker. Get your license, you procrastinating boob.
That'll do in a pinch.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
2-0turbo
Recipes 

Have you completed your cross-countries yet? If so, you are DEFINITELY there. Keep in mind, every time you take a break of 1-week or something like that, the first 1/2 of your next lesson is "getting back in the groove," costing you money. I'm sure you're not made of that--if you are, call me!

Once you get your license, then the real learning begins! : ) I'm sure you've heard this and its true. But, once you get your certificate, you can take passengers with you! You can grab a girl or friend and go get breakfast on Saturday morning. You could fly down to the Gulf for the day and do some sightseeing.

So get off your ass and finish up! : ) And there is more cool stuff...tailwheel endorsements, high performance endorsements, glass cockpits...the list goes on.

-200 hr ASEL

BB Primary 1: O'Flannagains Standard Stout
BB Primary 2: DFH-60 minute clone
BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)
Bottle Conditioning: None
On Hand: DFH-60 minute clone, Light Pilsner (Munton's kit)
Up Next: I dunno...I'm out of fermenters.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
JMD87
Recipes 

I took an Introductory lesson about a month ago and it was a very bitter-sweet experience for me. I know sometime in the future I will get my license, but right now time & money constraints are keeping me from my dream.

So stop your belly aching and realize there are people out in the world who aren't as lucky as you, and finish the last 1% of what's required to get your ticket. If your instructor is basically telling you you're ready, they just do it!

/toughlove

Seriously though, you're almost there, so get on it!
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kind of sounds like you are not really that into it anymore if you need someone to push you, I mean I am just saying. Is that why you need a push or do you really just want to talk with others about learning to fly and flying? That is cool too and I guess this is a good way to get others attention. Good luck, sounds like you are about there.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Good luck! I regretfully didn't finish up mine. I was doing checkride prep and the weather wasn't cooperating, then my daughter was born and I haven't been up since before then. Hard to find time anymore and now my written has expired and my medical is expiring soon.

I'll probably get back on that horse when I've got more free time and extra money sitting around.

This probably wasn't helpful, but maybe theres a lesson in it. Finish up as quick as possible before life throws you a curveball

Old 07-02-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
jgln
Recipes 

BTW, I don't fly but those 2 seat 1 prop planes and helicopters fly directly over my house all the time on approach to the small airport down the street.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-0turbo View Post
Have you completed your cross-countries yet? If so, you are DEFINITELY there. Keep in mind, every time you take a break of 1-week or something like that, the first 1/2 of your next lesson is "getting back in the groove," costing you money. I'm sure you're not made of that--if you are, call me!
Yup. Long solo XC completed 7/30 of last year. I was damn near done when I had my work/flaky CFI induced break last September. That sucks because cross country is the fun part (for me)-- nothing is more boring for me than turns around a point out in the practice area (which is exactly why I need some butt kickin' to stay on course).

I'm fortunate in that (1) I have a flexible work schedule right now and I'm not traveling as much and (2) my desk is 137 paces from the door to the FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD87 View Post
I took an Introductory lesson about a month ago and it was a very bitter-sweet experience for me. I know sometime in the future I will get my license, but right now time & money constraints are keeping me from my dream.

So stop your belly aching and realize there are people out in the world who aren't as lucky as you, and finish the last 1% of what's required to get your ticket. If your instructor is basically telling you you're ready, they just do it!

/toughlove

Seriously though, you're almost there, so get on it!
Renewed solo endorsement in hand, I'm flying every morning at 0600 local until I'm done. I hope the starts align soon for you and you get to start too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Kind of sounds like you are not really that into it anymore if you need someone to push you, I mean I am just saying. Is that why you need a push or do you really just want to talk with others about learning to fly and flying? That is cool too and I guess this is a good way to get others attention. Good luck, sounds like you are about there.
I'm WAY into it, I just really enjoy the cross country flying aspect of it. Tooling about looking at the tops of tree farms is pretty exciting for a bit but isn't the most exciting part of flying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Good luck! I regretfully didn't finish up mine. I was doing checkride prep and the weather wasn't cooperating, then my daughter was born and I haven't been up since before then. Hard to find time anymore and now my written has expired and my medical is expiring soon.

I'll probably get back on that horse when I've got more free time and extra money sitting around.

This probably wasn't helpful, but maybe theres a lesson in it. Finish up as quick as possible before life throws you a curveball
If you ever get back into it, let me know and I'll cheerfully kick your but across the finish line.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

I bet you are a quitter!!! That is what I think, never finished anything in your life and never will!!!

....does that help any?