Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > priming with a ported better bottle

Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
NotALamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default priming with a ported better bottle

I have a ported better bottle and I was wondering if I could add priming sugar to the primary and mix it up, wait a few hours for the trub to settle back down, and then bottle it? I would prefer not to have to rack off the trub and then prime and bottle from there since the better bottle has a nice racking setup right on it.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

It's been a while since I've carbonated in bottles, but I would be concerned about waiting a few hours after adding the priming sugar-- you might lose some carbonation because of the yeast fermenting the priming sugar while you are waiting.

-Steve
Planning: n/a

Old 07-02-2009, 03:36 AM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You'll also be stirring up all the trub at the bottom of your primary so you're going to end up with a ton of crap in your bottles. Get yourself a bottling bucket.

The racking port is there to make it easy for you to rack off your beer to a secondary or bottling bucket and leave the trub behind.