Help! Low mash temp - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Help! Low mash temp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
wormsgetsold
Recipes 
 
May 2007
austin, tx
Posts: 41


I bought a new digital thermometer today and was using it in my mash. I figured out it was not calibrated right about 15 minutes in. It was reading 160, then I doughed in and it went to 172. Then I freaked out and added cold water. Two different thermometer readings with another dig and a floating thermometer I figured I was at 145. It sat at 145 for 35 min total. I managed to get the temp up to 150, can't add more water now.

Question: How long should I mash at 150 for?

Grain bill
10 1/4 2-row
1/2 cara pils
1/2 munich

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:44 AM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
pompeiisneaks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Redmond, WA
Posts: 853
Liked 52 Times on 29 Posts


same time, 150 is a normal mash range, what did your mash call for? I often do 149 myself... It will make beer... usually people mash for 60 mins at 150ish, so 1 hr should do.

~Phil
__________________
~Phil
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #3
wormsgetsold
Recipes 
 
May 2007
austin, tx
Posts: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeiisneaks View Post
same time, 150 is a normal mash range, what did your mash call for? I often do 149 myself... It will make beer... usually people mash for 60 mins at 150ish, so 1 hr should do.

~Phil
sure, 152 was what i was going for. I guess what I am asking is should I still mash for 1 hour, or less time because it sat at 145ish for 35 minutes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #4
brian_g
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 368
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsgetsold View Post
I bought a new digital thermometer today and was using it in my mash. I figured out it was not calibrated right about 15 minutes in. It was reading 160, then I doughed in and it went to 172. Then I freaked out and added cold water. Two different thermometer readings with another dig and a floating thermometer I figured I was at 145. It sat at 145 for 35 min total. I managed to get the temp up to 150, can't add more water now.

Question: How long should I mash at 150 for?

Grain bill
10 1/4 2-row
1/2 cara pils
1/2 munich

The lower temperature range will give you more fermentable sugars. This means your abv will be higher and your beer will be dryer and less sweet. It's not the end of the world.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:53 AM   #5
wormsgetsold
Recipes 
 
May 2007
austin, tx
Posts: 41

I dig. Will proceed as normal now. thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
brian_g
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 368
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wormsgetsold View Post
sure, 152 was what i was going for. I guess what I am asking is should I still mash for 1 hour, or less time because it sat at 145ish for 35 minutes.
I'd go for another 60 min at 150. I don't have enough experience to know if it necessary, however.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
wormsgetsold
Recipes 
 
May 2007
austin, tx
Posts: 41

it's done now, mashed for 55 min at 150. batch sparging now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #8
brian_g
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 368
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Good luck with the rest of the brew. What kind of beer are you making? Is this your first all grain batch?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
wormsgetsold
Recipes 
 
May 2007
austin, tx
Posts: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
Good luck with the rest of the brew. What kind of beer are you making? Is this your first all grain batch?
it is a pale ale with simcoe for bittering and flavor. cascade for aroma. 5th all grain batch. 1.5 ounce simcoe 60 min, .5 ounce simcoe 15 min, .5 ounce cascade 5 min, .5 flame out.

put my first hop addition in 10 minutes ago. going well now, after that little scare.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
brian_g
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 368
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've only done 1 all grain so far. This is why I couldn't say for sure if you needed another 60 min at 150F. Read the following:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - How the Mash Works
How to Brew - By John Palmer - The Starch Conversion/Saccharification Rest

These two pages explain how the mash enzymes work. Basiclly here's what happens. The alpha enzyme works best at 154-162F, the beta enzyme works best at 131-150F. The beta enzyme makes the fermentable sugars. The alpha enzyme makes more unfermentable sugars. The trick is that, the beta needs the alpha enzyme, but if you get the mash in the ideal range for the alpha, you will start to destroy the beta enzyme.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping Mash temp during 90min Mash in 5gal Cooler MLT KYB All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 01-30-2013 05:57 AM
Partial mash: mash temp too high - what to do? kcpup Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-18-2009 11:54 PM
Mash Temp Versus Mash Time mew General Techniques 8 07-16-2008 07:28 PM
From tap temp to mash temp in how many seconds? Grimsawyer Brew Stands 11 03-18-2008 09:51 PM
Mash Out Temp/Sparge Temp dblee50 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 09-29-2006 09:57 PM


Forum Jump