Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > auto siphons
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #21
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,685
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
then seal off the hose for 20 minutes while the sanitizer does it's thing.
Sounds like you need some Starsan or Iodophor. They require short contact and the residual fluid left on the object will sanitize. My first kit came with c-brite I believe and it sucked.


Scut_Monkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
gratus fermentatio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 10,037
Liked 1303 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 3673

Default

Auto siphon rocks! So does starsan. I use both every fermentation. Regards, GF.


gratus fermentatio is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #23
metaltim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 331
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
seal off the hose for 20 minutes while the sanitizer does it's thing..
as mentioned above.. use iodophor, only needs a minute or two.
metaltim is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 738
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Yeah, I'm currently using Clorox bleach highly diluted. I don't like it, and I'm aware of the issues with it. From the little research I've done, it sounds like StarSan is the way to go, I'll probably be getting myself a bottle next time I order.

Are there issues with StarSan or Iodophore deteriorating or eating plastic/metal equipment?
DRoyLenz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 1,724
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
Yeah, I'm currently using Clorox bleach highly diluted. I don't like it, and I'm aware of the issues with it. From the little research I've done, it sounds like StarSan is the way to go, I'll probably be getting myself a bottle next time I order.

Are there issues with StarSan or Iodophore deteriorating or eating plastic/metal equipment?
both Starsan and Idophore are safe with Stainless, Glass, Aluminum, and plastic.

Idophore may add a slight discoloration to a white alepail if you concentrate it too strong and/or leave it in contact too long, but that is harmeless.
Arkador is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
DRoyLenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 738
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
both Starsan and Idophore are safe with Stainless, Glass, Aluminum, and plastic.

Idophore may add a slight discoloration to a white alepail if you concentrate it too strong and/or leave it in contact too long, but that is harmeless.
Well from what I can tell, Starsan is the way to go. It is the most referenced sanitizer in the literature I've been reading, and it seems to be what y'all use. Thanks for the pointers.


DRoyLenz is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternatives to Auto-Siphons thejerk Equipment/Sanitation 21 09-07-2009 01:48 AM
Need second opinion on fluid mechanics (siphons) DeafSmith Equipment/Sanitation 5 06-08-2009 09:48 PM
Auto Log Out SirHopsALot HomeBrewTalk Announcements & Feedback 2 02-02-2009 04:49 AM
Soda Siphons Terry08 Bottling/Kegging 4 07-05-2008 10:44 PM
Auto Siphons danceswithbeer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 07-11-2005 04:49 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS