Pitching Second Yeast - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Pitching Second Yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
markhagan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Louisville, Ky
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



Hello!

I have brewed a Strong Belgian Pilsner. I pitched with WLP800 which is optimal @ 50-55F (which I am unable to produce). My local brew store was out of WLP300 that I am used to so they suggested this yeast as a substitute. I didn't think much of it until two days later when it is still not fermenting.

I can now get my hands on WLP300 which does best at the 70F I CAN produce. Can I pitch the WLP300 in the same container without horrific results?

Thanks in advance!!
(i will relax and drink a home brew after i get home from work )

edit: this thread probably belongs in the newb brewing section. this was the only category with "yeast" in the description. please move if required.

Reason: maybe wrong forum section?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


yea no problem mixing yeast like that. its a common way to unstick a fermentation. may not get the exact same results you would expect from just the one yeast but the beer will be perfectly fine. unless something else bad happens.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,730
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


By now, the fermentation is probably about finished. Check the SG to see where it's at. If it's already started, the only thing accomplished by adding more yeast would be to waste $7.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
rsmith179
 
rsmith179's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Cleveland, OH
Posts: 934
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I actually read in "Brew like a monk" that White Labs would reccommend mixing 2-3 different strains of Belgian yeasts in batches. This really helps you capitalize on the different characteristics of the yeast strains used. I would honestly see no problem in pitching two different types of yeast like that.
__________________
"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
markhagan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Louisville, Ky
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Glad I didn't freak out too bad. I arrived home this afternoon and it had started fermenting! It is going slow, but steady (one bubble every 2 seconds on average).

WLP800 has an optimal temp of 50-55. The best I can do is *maybe* 68. How does this change the brew?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,730
Liked 8009 Times on 5598 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by markhagan View Post
Glad I didn't freak out too bad. I arrived home this afternoon and it had started fermenting! It is going slow, but steady (one bubble every 2 seconds on average).

WLP800 has an optimal temp of 50-55. The best I can do is *maybe* 68. How does this change the brew?
It'll be fruitier, maybe with some sulfur, and a totally different beer than if fermented at the proper temperatures. I'm amazed that your LHBS would suggest it as a sub for WLP300. That's not even close! That's like subbing tofu for sirloin steak. Still a protein, but world's apart.

WLP is a hefeweizen yeast, with banana and clove flavors (esters and phenols). Even a cleaner ale yeast would be a better sub than a lager yeast.

That lager yeast is meant for crisp, malty pilsners and you'll have a totally differerent beer than you expected.

I would ask the homebrew store why they suggested that sub. It's about as far apart in yeast strains as you could possibly get, from the optimum temperatures to the flavors they impart and the flocculation, etc.

Still, it's fermenting now, so let it go and see what you get. I guess if your brew is a Belgian pilsner, you'll get some fruitiness from fermenting the yeast higher than optimum temperatures. What's the rest of the recipe?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
markhagan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Louisville, Ky
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It'll be fruitier, maybe with some sulfur, and a totally different beer than if fermented at the proper temperatures. I'm amazed that your LHBS would suggest it as a sub for WLP300. That's not even close! That's like subbing tofu for sirloin steak. Still a protein, but world's apart.

WLP is a hefeweizen yeast, with banana and clove flavors (esters and phenols). Even a cleaner ale yeast would be a better sub than a lager yeast.

That lager yeast is meant for crisp, malty pilsners and you'll have a totally differerent beer than you expected.

I would ask the homebrew store why they suggested that sub. It's about as far apart in yeast strains as you could possibly get, from the optimum temperatures to the flavors they impart and the flocculation, etc.

Still, it's fermenting now, so let it go and see what you get. I guess if your brew is a Belgian pilsner, you'll get some fruitiness from fermenting the yeast higher than optimum temperatures. What's the rest of the recipe?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dele...ns-clone-6963/

That is the recipe I used. This is my third time making it. Last time I mixed up the grain a bit and used Coriander seeds rather than paradise.

I was able to fix the temperature a bit: I have a few un-used rooms in my house. I sat the bucket next to one of my air vents and built walls on two sides of it. (cornered it in) Then, I covered the whole thing with towels to trap the cold air: with a small hole to allow some flow to my cold air return. I am able to keep the temp of that area at 55-62 range. 62 when the HVAC is not running and 55 when it is.

I am not sad that the flavor will be different. That is my favorite part of brewing: enjoying the unique flavors of my screw-ups .

Thanks for the help!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
markhagan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Louisville, Ky
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by markhagan View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dele...ns-clone-6963/

That is the recipe I used. This is my third time making it. Last time I mixed up the grain a bit and used Coriander seeds rather than paradise.

I was able to fix the temperature a bit: I have a few un-used rooms in my house. I sat the bucket next to one of my air vents and built walls on two sides of it. (cornered it in) Then, I covered the whole thing with towels to trap the cold air: with a small hole to allow some flow to my cold air return. I am able to keep the temp of that area at 55-62 range. 62 when the HVAC is not running and 55 when it is.

I am not sad that the flavor will be different. That is my favorite part of brewing: enjoying the unique flavors of my screw-ups .

Thanks for the help!!
Due to the gravity cap on the WLP800, I am going to pitch a WLP540 Abbey this afternoon. This will allow me to disassemble my MacGyver setup and hopefully add an interesting twist to the brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
over pitching yeast KayaBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 04-06-2013 05:37 PM
Pitching Yeast Slurry - New House Yeast? hoppysailor All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 10-14-2009 04:25 PM
pitching yeast cheschire Mead Forum 1 09-04-2009 06:13 PM
under pitching yeast exbrit Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 09-02-2009 12:59 PM
pitching yeast? steez Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 12-23-2008 04:07 PM


Forum Jump