Seth Sullivan Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP007 Dry English Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Used gelatin in secondary to clear. A real winner!
~~~~~~~~~
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Seth Sullivan Irish Red Ale
Brewer: Mark Pannell
Asst Brewer:
Style: Irish Red Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 13.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt, Golden Promise (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.86 %
6.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 28.65 %
0.18 lb Roasted Barley (550.0 SRM)** Grain
0.03 lb. Black Patent Malt -500L (500SRM)** Grain
4.12 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (45 min) Hops 20.0 IBU
1.55 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] (15 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.20 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
10.00 gal Chicago, IL Water
2 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [CultYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 20.94 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 28.63 qt of water at 167.5 F to achive mash temp of 153.0 F

Notes: ** = added at beginning of sparge
~~~~~~~~~

I got the idea of tossing the dark grains in at sparging from Flossmoor Station's former brewmaster, Matt Van Wyk. He did this for their Black Wolf Schwarzbier. You get color, but not much flavor and I think it added to the 'redness' of the beer.

I brewed five gals. of this for the first time not long ago and it went pretty fast. Brought it to a gathering of regional homebrewers at a Brewers/Cubs game and it went over pretty well.

I brewed it again last month, but upped it to 10+ gals. Five of these gals. were for the 21st birthday of one of my stepson's buddies. He had a sip or three a couple of weeks after kegging and loved it. Had a full pint a few weeks later and offered to pay for the ingredients if I brew it for him as a B'day gift.

I named this for my Great-Grandfather. He was Irish and the first of his family to be born on US soil. Spent the majority of his life in Ausin, TX and died in 1971.

THis looks like my next brew. Have you considered using carafa special in place of the roasted? I would assume it would have the same effect if it is added at the end of the mash.

THis looks like my next brew. Have you considered using carafa special in place of the roasted? I would assume it would have the same effect if it is added at the end of the mash.
I considered that, but I hate to tinker with it! I think the small amount of roast may add something. It doesn't have a roast flavor, per se. But I bet that if I omitted it, it might change the flavor profile.

I just put the last five gal. keg on tap last night to carb up. I think I'll need to brew up another 10 gals. in the next couple of months. I just found today that my Great-Grandfather, for whom this brew is named, was born on February 7, 1888. I want to time it so that my next keg will be tapped on that date in 2010 - his 122nd birthday.

Back