Hi, All

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarissaEsq

Reaction score
New here... I actually made my first cheese, a queso blanco, quite a while ago. I loved it, and it was *really* easy, but I got busy in the interim.

Now I'll be back to it; I just ordered the stuff I need to make mozzarella & provolone.

The only thing I'm still hunting for is pH test strips. I've seen testers on the sites, but they're pricey and I'm not sure I want to invest that much yet when I'm still on my 2nd or 3rd cheese. Anyone know where I can get the test strips inexpensively?

Thanks much!

Welcome, I'm a brewer but thinking of getting into some cheese making. I would mostly make Italian soft cheeses. Good luck and let us know how it goes :mug:

pH strips are not the most reliable. They only give you a range, and you are still guessing. If you want to measure pH, you are best off investing in a pH meter, or alternatively an acidometer which measures titratable acidity (a different but related measurement).

Hmph. Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know.

Any idea where to get one inexpensively that's still reliable? The site from whence I ordered my supplies for these two cheeses is the one run by the author of Home Cheese Making and only has one for about $100, as far as I could see. I'm pretty sure I'll like doing this, but I just don't want to shell out that kind of dough only to get bored and never make another cheese. I know me. It's unlikely, but it *could* happen.

I don't think a pH meter is necessary for beginning home cheese-making, but it is important for more advanced stuff and for professionals.

If you are going to spend $100 on a pH meter, it should be accurate to the .01 of a pH point. Make sure you take care of it properly. Store it in a 4.0 buffer solution when not in use. Always clean it and blot it dry (don't wipe because that creates static electricity which throws off the electrode). Be wary of butterfat sticking to the sides. Hot soapy water will get rid of congealed butterfat.

Thanks for all the input. Thing is, I need *some* way of measuring pH according to this damned provolone recipe. Any idea if this would work?: American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor Package My husband has one of these for the saltwater fish tank, and a second probe (to make it food-friendly) would just be like $35.

Thanks for all the input. Thing is, I need *some* way of measuring pH according to this damned provolone recipe. Any idea if this would work?: American Marine Pinpoint pH Monitor Package My husband has one of these for the saltwater fish tank, and a second probe (to make it food-friendly) would just be like $35.

I don't know, it might be worth trying.

You should never put your pH meter into the cheese milk/whey. Always draw a sample in a sanitized cup, and use that to test the pH. Throw the sample out (or drink it if you prefer), but don't put it back in the cheese milk/whey.

What is the target pH of the provolone? How is it having you acidify the milk? Is it through fermentation or is it having you add some kind of acid to the milk?

-Bill

The recipe says to add the starter mix, then test for a pH of 6.58, then add lipase & test for 6.55, then rennet and it should be 6.53, then after 10 minutes 6.48 (there's time & mixing and things between each pH test), then 6.35, then 5.3 - 5.5.

So I need pH papers (or a tester) with a range of 5.3 to 6.58 and some on either end.

As an aside, I made my second ever batch of queso blanco tonight. Can't wait to try it!

Sounds like it is having you acidify it through fermentation. You'll probably want some way of measuring the pH in that case. Electronic meters are more accurate, but more expense than papers.

Back