Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > New manifold
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
BaldAssCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 72
Default New manifold

After I started using beersmith I found out I'm only getting 58% efficiency. I was a little disappointed so I decided to upgrade my setup starting with my MLT. I cut the pieces for the manifold but this being my first one I didnít know if I should solider it together or not. If I donít itís easier to clean. If I do itís easier to use. Whatís the right thing to do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MLT_Manifold.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	11838

I haven't cut the slits in yet.


BaldAssCat is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
popester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30
Default

You might want to reconsider your design: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Building the Manifold


popester is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
BaldAssCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by popester View Post
You might want to reconsider your design: How to Brew - By John Palmer - Building the Manifold
I think I see what you mean. I'll have to think it through to see how I can fix it.
BaldAssCat is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JMSetzler's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hickory, North Carolina
Posts: 911
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldAssCat View Post
I think I see what you mean. I'll have to think it through to see how I can fix it.
Since you have it built, why not give it a try? There are a lot of elements that define efficiency with the manifold being just one of them. I have read all that Palmer stuff and understand the ideas behind it, but I still believe that a poorly designed manifold vs a well-designed one won't produce a huge difference in efficiency.
__________________
Beer Before Noon - My Beer and Homebrewing Adventures

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!
JMSetzler is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Isn't Palmer referring to fly sparging in his designs? If you are batch sparging then it might not come into play as much. How is your grain crush?
__________________
Gary
Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
jgbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Since you have it built, why not give it a try? There are a lot of elements that define efficiency with the manifold being just one of them. I have read all that Palmer stuff and understand the ideas behind it, but I still believe that a poorly designed manifold vs a well-designed one won't produce a huge difference in efficiency.
No kidding, especially if you are batch sparging.
jgbrown is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 27,029
Liked 3492 Times on 2385 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

Default

I would try it out if you are batch sparging. Also, I woudl recommend NOT soldering it all together. Maybe just solder the Ts to the pipes going across, but leave some of the joints unsoldered.

My reasoning is that you may want to clean it out later, and/or make changes. A friction fit is probably plenty.

Also, I would consider using a plastic hose between the manifold and the spigot. This would allow you to lift the manifold up off the bottom to make rinsing and cleaning easier, without having to undo the joints. Works for me! Although you may have to rotate the fitting on the manifold to point towards the spigot and do a straight shot.

Essentially, you have the same design that I use, excepting for the plastic hose (white hose, not clear) and I have gotten over 80% efficiency, every time. Even when I forget to rinse twice.
__________________
If your takin' your girlfriend out tonight
You better park the car well out of sight
'Cos if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
BaldAssCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I would try it out if you are batch sparging. Also, I woudl recommend NOT soldering it all together. Maybe just solder the Ts to the pipes going across, but leave some of the joints unsoldered.

My reasoning is that you may want to clean it out later, and/or make changes. A friction fit is probably plenty.

Also, I would consider using a plastic hose between the manifold and the spigot. This would allow you to lift the manifold up off the bottom to make rinsing and cleaning easier, without having to undo the joints. Works for me! Although you may have to rotate the fitting on the manifold to point towards the spigot and do a straight shot.

Essentially, you have the same design that I use, excepting for the plastic hose (white hose, not clear) and I have gotten over 80% efficiency, every time. Even when I forget to rinse twice.
I like the idea of the flexable hose. I'll look into that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Since you have it built, why not give it a try? There are a lot of elements that define efficiency with the manifold being just one of them. I have read all that Palmer stuff and understand the ideas behind it, but I still believe that a poorly designed manifold vs a well-designed one won't produce a huge difference in efficiency.
Iím tempted to cut the slots in and try it. My concern is if I do then I canít reuse the pipe for the next design. What do you folks think if this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MLT_Des.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	11841

The drain on my cooler is pretty low so I canít get any pipes under it. Thatís why itís split the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Isn't Palmer referring to fly sparging in his designs? If you are batch sparging then it might not come into play as much. How is your grain crush?
Step 2 in this effort is fly sparging. I was going to drill through the top of the MLT and run a hose to a sparge arm or just one of the small upside down funnel sprayers, not sure what theyíre called. I have another cooler to use for the sparge water. Iím just looking for a place to setup a gravity system. I have a house but I can only cook in the kitchen or outside right now and the kitchen isnít that big.

I made a grain mill from a pasta mill as noted in hereÖ http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/usin...l-grain-75784/

I tried it out and I think I need to rough up the rollers some more to speed things up but it seems to crush ok. I get a lot of flour on lower settings or a lot of uncrushed grain if I open it up at all. I canít seem to find the middle ground so went with the flour and taking it really slow when sparging. I want to buy a new mill but that wonít be at least until the fall.
BaldAssCat is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reed City, MI
Posts: 27,029
Liked 3492 Times on 2385 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

Default

Copper is cheap. I don't see a real problem with the design as it is. I'd cut the slots and go for it.
__________________
If your takin' your girlfriend out tonight
You better park the car well out of sight
'Cos if they catch you in the back seat trying to pick her locks
They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !
Homercidal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
popester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldAssCat View Post
I’m tempted to cut the slots in and try it. My concern is if I do then I can’t reuse the pipe for the next design. What do you folks think if this?

Attachment 11841
Go re-read the link I posted earlier: the spots at the top left and top right have a relatively long ways to go compared to the spots at the bottom left and bottom right. Your goal when designing this sucker should be to minimize the distance from any point to the exit.


popester is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can this be done? DIY gas manifold? Dude Equipment/Sanitation 43 06-29-2010 08:31 PM
MLT Manifold?? Help me! BrewTaster Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 29 02-19-2009 02:25 PM
Manifold beerme Equipment/Sanitation 9 09-10-2006 11:11 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS