Looking for an Irish Red with a Bright Red color - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Looking for an Irish Red with a Bright Red color

Old 06-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Pinck
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Aylmer, QC, Canada

So I've got a friend of mine who's planning to come to visit around Christmas '09. They are Irish and have bright red hair. Thus, a commemorative beer is in order!

I'm looking around for a good Irish Red recipe (extract or all grain, I'll do either) that has a good solid Red color to it. I'm not looking for copper, or amber/brown.

Anyone have a recipe that they've tried and hit that fire-engine red dead on?

Thanks!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

I brewed an extract batch (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/brom...sh-red-117326/), came out pretty good except the extract twang. Next time I do it, I plan on using as much Maris Otter for the base as I can fit in my equipment and fill in with some extract. The colour came out a great red IMO, and it's quite a simple recipe. I also would switch the yeast for maybe an Irish Ale yeast and change to Fuggles or Goldings for the hops to get the style dialled in.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7032 Times on 4164 Posts

I have been looking into this myself. I have no experience with this, but here are the things you might consider:

Rye
Belgian Special B
CaraRed.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
kyleobie
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Chicago, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My third batch is an extract. I used Caramunich (8 oz) and Special B (2 oz) as well as Crystal 80L and light DME. I saw a nice red color seeping out as it was steeping - from my hydro samples it's going to be a dark red. I vouch for a Caramunich and Special B combo.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Gremlyn

Recipes 

Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Liked 29 Times on 19 Posts

If you're going for a true Irish Red, keep in mind the BJCP guidelines:
Quote:
Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Anchorage
Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

Roasted Barley.

I think it is rather hard to pull off the dry finish of an Irish red if you have enough caramel malts in there to make it red. When I make a Irish red, I make something lighter in color and adjust with roasted barely.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Clayton

Recipes 

Apr 2008
NE Oklahoma
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinck View Post
Anyone have a recipe that they've tried and hit that fire-engine red dead on?

Thanks!!!!

BEETS
just add one beet and it will be super red
and i dont think it will change the flavor at all
beets have a very mild tast
i have been pickeling some here with eggs and
veggys and just a sliver of beet turns the whole jar red.

Beet Puree Soup

get you a beet and taste it then think about that deluted with 5 gal of beer
i dont think it will have any real impact if you slice it up thin and steep it in the last 15min of the boil

Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Clayton

Recipes 

Apr 2008
NE Oklahoma
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

seriously thow the amount of pigment in a beet is unbelaveable if you have never cut one up the color just runs out of them its like thay are full of red ink

Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Pangea
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Lafayette, LA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Use CaraRed. Your application is what it was meant for.

From an online home brew supplier:

Weyermann CaraRed
20 L. Provides fuller body and imparts a deep, saturated red color, particularly to red ales and lagers, Scottish ales, bocks and altbiers.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Irie5447

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Cleveland, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just put food coloring in it if your so concerned about the color. It will never be naturally fire engine red!