Braided tubing or slotted copper in mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
So i am about to build a mash tun. I was going to go with a ten gallon chest cooler with the slotted copper tubing apparatus in the bottom.

Then someone mentioned just using the braided tubing. So not I am debating which to go with.

Any input or suggestions?

Thanks,

A month ago, I was in the same position as you. I finally went with braid, because of the kits sold by Bargain Fittings. I got full 1/2" fittings, with a LARGE diameter braid clamped to a handy fitting that just screws into the back of the valve assembly in the HLT (I'm using the Rubbermaid / Home Depot 10 gal. cooler conversion). It works so well, it's a little bit of a letdown. Very little vorlauf involved, and it drains very smoothly.

I went with the braid because I could get it free outta the trash at work.... Works great with most grain bills. If you do anything with alot of wheat or flaked barley you'll need a couple handfulls of rice hulls. (which isn't a big deal...they're cheap and easy and since I've tried them the first time....I use them on every mash.....

I went with the braid because I could get it free outta the trash at work.... Works great with most grain bills. If you do anything with alot of wheat or flaked barley you'll need a couple handfulls of rice hulls. (which isn't a big deal...they're cheap and easy and since I've tried them the first time....I use them on every mash.....

What do the rice hulls do for you in a mash?

Yes I have seen this on his web sit, This is from his book I Quote."Round Cooler With Braid, A round ring in a round cooler that divides the area evenly inside and outside the ring is actually more uniform than a false bottom of the same size. The other advantage of a ring over the false bottom here is the reduced risk of a stuck sparge from uniform compaction."

Yes I have seen this on his web sit, This is from his book I Quote."Round Cooler With Braid, A round ring in a round cooler that divides the area evenly inside and outside the ring is actually more uniform than a false bottom of the same size. The other advantage of a ring over the false bottom here is the reduced risk of a stuck sparge from uniform compaction."

You are correct. If the braid is built/placed this way, it will perform similarly to a false bottom. A small, straight braid will not.

Back