I need your opinions (yeast storage) - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > I need your opinions (yeast storage)

Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #1
Hound_Dog

Recipes 

Apr 2009

Well I was gearing up to brew a honey wheat today. I went to the fridge and grabbed my yeast. I sanitized the package and my scissors, and went to cut open the packet. That's when I realized it was my package of Notty and not the Munich yeast I needed. The problem is that I made about a 1mm incision into the packet. I immediately sanitized a mason jar and lid and put the yeast in the jar. Should I just throw it out or should it be ok?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
mrfurlly
Recipes 

Feb 2009
London Ontario

I wouldnt throw it out. If everything was nice and clean, im sure it will be fine. (in the fridge)

Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

Once the package is opened, the oxygen gets to the yeast cells and it's not good for very long. Maybe a week or so would be ok. I can't remember all of the science behind it, but it has to do with the package being sealed in an oxygen-less environment and when oxygen does get in through opening the package, it changes the environment of the dehydrated yeast. I think it was David_42 who explained it to me, but I'm really not sure.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it personally, but if you want to be safe, make a starter. It's not optimal for dry yeast, but that will give the yeast something to do and you one less thing to worry about.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 07-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #5
Hound_Dog

Recipes 

Apr 2009

Well for future users with similar questions I have found a good answer. I found this on the danstar website "Nottingham will rapidly lose activity after exposure to air. Do not use 500 g or 10 kg packs that have lost vacuum. Opened packs must be re-closed, stored in dry conditions below 4°C, and used within 3 days; 11 g sachets are not vacuum packed but are flushed with nitrogen gas to protect the yeast"