Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > looking for camping recipes

Old 06-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pudgie pies are a staple when we go camping. Pizza, taco, whatever you want to fill them with. And egg ones for breakfast. And the kids love making them.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3463 Times on 2363 Posts
Likes Given: 2256

We love HOBO pies (camp cookers, or pie irons) made with butter tastin biscuit rolled out instead of bread. Or refrigerated croissant rolls.

We've even had a hobo pie cooking contest once. Several families involved. Way too much hobo pie goodness! My entry was an Italian Chicken with cheese and italian spices and tomatos. My friend made yellow cake with a brownie fudge in the center. (He started cooking the cake on each open half, then slapped them together to finish once they cooked a bit.)

They're gonna send you back to mother in a cardboard box !

Old 06-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Pudgie pies are a staple when we go camping. Pizza, taco, whatever you want to fill them with. And egg ones for breakfast. And the kids love making them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
We love HOBO pies (camp cookers, or pie irons) made with butter tastin biscuit rolled out instead of bread. Or refrigerated croissant rolls.

We've even had a hobo pie cooking contest once. Several families involved. Way too much hobo pie goodness! My entry was an Italian Chicken with cheese and italian spices and tomatos. My friend made yellow cake with a brownie fudge in the center. (He started cooking the cake on each open half, then slapped them together to finish once they cooked a bit.)

See, the possibilities are endless!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Another fun thing to do, though I haven't done it in awhile, is a Polish Luau. It's great for large gatherings and group camping trips.

You start with a NEW, NEVER USED, galvanized garbage can. You line the bottom of the can with a case or so of BMC (cans) and crack open the beer cans. You then layer on top of the open beer cans some brats, skin-on hot dogs, potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, and anything else that triggers your fancy. Put the cover on the can and support it over the campfire for about 2 hours. The beer will steam-cook all of the food above it and it is absolutely delicious! The brats, and any other non-pre-cooked sausage, will be white in color because of being steamed instead of grilled. If you think that would not be appetizing, then grill them first a bit to brown them.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
flylock_jac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to do a lot of mountain climbing a trail hiking. Because of bears we always brought
lots of trail mix and instant food. no fresh meat to attract the bears.
One of my favorite hiking meals was beef jerky chili.(no darn beans ever !!) I'd premix all my spices and keep em in a zip lock baggie and a couple backs of beef jerky. on chili day
I'd break up the jerky into bite size pieces and put them in my pot 1/2 full of water in the morning to rehydrate. Then I'd hang the on a line from a branch high enough so the bears couldn't reach.
By supper time the jerky would be rehydrated. Drain off most the water add your spices and let it simmer away.
Not your ordinary home made chili , but after a couple of days of trail mix and spam it tasted pretty darn good.

camping is easier ,because you've got a cooler and don't hve to carry all your food on your back.
Maybe try some grilled pizza -ribs - oe even something bigger. I've done plenty of roastbeefs and pork tenderloin on the grill. just start your coals and when they are good and hot ,bank them all on one side of the grill. put your roast on the other side with a drip pan underneath. baste every 1/2 hr or so and toss some potatoes wrap in foil on for the last hour.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #16
jdonly1
Recipes 

Here is my camping spit,made it out of a beer keg and use heat beads or hot coals to cook on.
It cook a great roast.Here it is at home with a leg of lamb on it

Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

Does no one else wrap their hobo dinner in cabbage leafs?

you don't eat the cabbage but it keeps everything moist and from getting burnt.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #18
amishland

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will be doing some or all of the hobo pies above. I also would love to see some pics of a polish luau

Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #19
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland View Post
I also would love to see some pics of a polish luau

I'll see if I can dig some up. not sure if i can find them.....

Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #20
NAUGHTYDOGBREWING
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Another fun thing to do, though I haven't done it in awhile, is a Polish Luau. It's great for large gatherings and group camping trips.

You start with a NEW, NEVER USED, galvanized garbage can. You line the bottom of the can with a case or so of BMC (cans) and crack open the beer cans. You then layer on top of the open beer cans some brats, skin-on hot dogs, potatoes, onions, corn on the cob, and anything else that triggers your fancy. Put the cover on the can and support it over the campfire for about 2 hours. The beer will steam-cook all of the food above it and it is absolutely delicious! The brats, and any other non-pre-cooked sausage, will be white in color because of being steamed instead of grilled. If you think that would not be appetizing, then grill them first a bit to brown them.
I just want everyone to know that galvanized is poisonous when burned. If you want to try this than burn a good hot fire in the can before using it to burn off the galvanized coating. Use some apple wood or something for the fire to get a good flavor seasoned on the can.