Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Just throw it away....

Old 06-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Just throw it away....

I've realized 2 things lately.

1. Cleaning bottles and especially removing the labels is the most tedious part of beer and wine making.
2. I did not get into beer and wine making to save money.

So given this, I have decided NOT to recycle my bottles anymore. I will just buy new ones when I need them. The old ones will go to the county recycling on trash day.

Has anyone else come to this conclusion?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

No, but why wouldn't you re-use bottles that you've already taken the labels off of, or bought without labels? Sounds like it would be expensive to re-buy bottles for every batch instead of recycling the ones you have.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

My solution to the problem you mentioned was kegging. IMHO, if you're not looking to save money by brewing, definitely get a keg setup. You won't regret it one bit.

Around here, new bottles are expensive (roughly $15-20 a case). While I didn't get into brewing to save money, with the amount of beer I make I think it would be wasteful to add $15-20 dollars to every batch.

Another easy solution is to fill a bucket with Star San and just put your rinsed, already de-labled bottle in there after you use them. They will be ready for your next batch when you need them.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

After two bottled batches my conclusion was Corny kegs.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'll second Corny Kegs. I still have bottles though to send off to competitions or give to friends.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree corney kegs are the way to go. But I dont know whats so hard about soaking bottles in oxyclean for a few days letting them dry then rinsing and sanitizing on bottling day. You should rinse and sanitize on bottle day even with new bottles anyway.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

if you buying "new" they wont have labels on them so it's really a simple pour -rinse the bottle a couple times let dry . Rinse again and sanitize on bottleing day.Even if you were to get some with labels just soak in Oxiclean ovenight and your done - Vinegar and water will work on labels too just like removing wall paper.

I keg but still have a case or so of bottles .

Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Even better...why don't you donate them to another local brewer who can't afford new ones?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do also keg - most of my beer, but I like some bottles for friends and going out. Bottles are mostly for my wine-making where I typically bottle 60-90 at a time. Also I add labels to all my beers and wines. Sometimes those labels come off, sometimes they don't, but it always takes several hours to clean all the bastards. And I have tried the soaking in Oxy-clean and it helps a little, but there is still a lot of scrubbing to do. Also I am somewhat of a perfectionist and can't stand to have any little bits of old label anywhere on the bottles.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
if you buying "new" they wont have labels on them so it's really a simple pour -rinse the bottle a couple times let dry . Rinse again and sanitize on bottleing day.Even if you were to get some with labels just soak in Oxiclean ovenight and your done - Vinegar and water will work on labels too just like removing wall paper.

I keg but still have a case or so of bottles .
Here's my take on cleaning bottles: If the glue isn't water soluble, I chuck the bottle. Its not worth the time. That being said, theres so many water soluble ones out there, that most of the time you just drop the bottles in a bucket of hot water and the labels come off. Rub with a sponge to take any residual glue of, and you're done.