I know this is a common question, but is my beer actually ruined? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I know this is a common question, but is my beer actually ruined?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Jan 2009
'Possum knob KY Near lexington
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i remember when i was this impatient. What i reccomend you do is do the 4-4, brew 2 wit batches in the mean time. You can be ready to drink them long before the kolsh is done. The wit is the beer i make to get me through between batches. its deliscious green. Best actually. I keg, and can go from pot to pallete in 14 days(if the fg is right!)

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #12
jds

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Excellent...

I wouldn't worry too much about the low boil you were at for your inagural beer. Hot break is much more pronounced the first time the mash is brought to the boil. Since you're using an extract, the hot break has already happened (at the maltster), and a lot of the proteins that make for hot break have been taken out.

Like lots of other people have said, the best thing you can do now is ignore your fermenter. Put it in a dark, cool place, and try to forget about it for two or three weeks. Use that time to read up here at HBT, to read (or re-read) How to Brew - By John Palmer, and to start planning your second batch. You'll want it in the pipeline as soon as you clear your fermenter out, because you will be drinking one of the best beers you ever had, and it will be gone too soon.

Welcome to the addict^H^H^H^H^H^ hobby.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Volcom-Brewer
Recipes 

Jun 2009
518 NY

There is some brown powdery-like substance on top of the foam...is this normal I hope?

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottling: none
Drinking: Ayinger Weizenbock, Chimay, Blue Moon, Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #14
JalaPeno
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Lubbock

If your wort is looking like this video...RELAX and let the yeast do their thing.

Watch the show and sniff the airlock.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #15
Volcom-Brewer
Recipes 

Jun 2009
518 NY

The foam is actually diminishing and the brown powder still remains on top. I'm getting somewhat worried.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7599 Times on 5349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom-Brewer View Post
The foam is actually diminishing and the brown powder still remains on top. I'm getting somewhat worried.
Then, stop looking at it! It's fine. The krausen is falling. You've got some proteins or other crud on top. It'll fall to the bottom. Now, stop worrying!

I have plastic buckets just for times like this. They're in the basement, and I can't see them or hear them, or even see inside of them. That way, I don't have to think about it! I put beer in them, that I made last Tuesday (ten gallons total), and I'll have to go down there and dry hop in a week or two. When I do, I'll open them up and check the FG. If they aren't done, I'll close them back up. If they are done, I'll proceed. Really, that sounds simple, but that is all there is to it. There isn't anything to do in the meantime at all.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #17
Volcom-Brewer
Recipes 

Jun 2009
518 NY

Yea, i'm just getting overly excited I guess. I should just sit back, maybe check on it every now and then so it doesnt over-foam, and just drink my Wacko and Dry Hopped Pale ale until then

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7599 Times on 5349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom-Brewer View Post
Yea, i'm just getting overly excited I guess. I should just sit back, maybe check on it every now and then so it doesnt over-foam, and just drink my Wacko and Dry Hopped Pale ale until then
Now, that sounds like a plan! Well, not right now, since it's 7:45 AM. But maybe in a few hours, that is!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #19
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Jan 2009
'Possum knob KY Near lexington
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Screw that! If you wanna crack a brew at 7am i say go for it. I do it sometimes and old lady freaks but, if your workin on a car, mowin the lawn or brewin its OK! Thats man LAW!!!!!

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
snailsongs
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Eugene, OR
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It's just the good old US and A that has a thing about beer in the morning...there's nothing like a wheat beer for breakfast, IMHO. hey, actually I just mashed in a kind of "breakfast" stout...now I'm thirsty and it's only 5:40AM...these early hours are the only way I can get a good AG brew-session in with two little boys running the house.