Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Pliny the Elder recipe questions

Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #91
bdnoona
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yes, please keep us posted. I'd love it if my next attempt of this is even closer to the original.

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #92
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoc View Post
Batch 3 is in the fermentor. I increased the flameout and dry hops by about 20% to see if I can reproduce the hop aroma of the real thing. I'll post the results here in a few weeks. Also used fresh hops for most of the hops in the boil. My hop bag was like a bowling ball when I pulled it out of the kettle. My efficiency jumped to about 80% on this batch too, so my OG was a bit higher than expected at 1.073.
have you had a chance to taste yet?

also, the calculated ibu comes in over 200 but the actual says 90-95?

Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #93
black95tt
Recipes 

I've brewed the BYO Clone several times. The thing I've noticed with this beer is that the flavor and aroma fades VERY quickly, like in a couple weeks quickly. For those of you that have had Pliney, you can probably attest to this. I've had bottles ranging from 1 week to 4 weeks old. There is a HUGE difference in the aroma and hop flavor profile. The thing I do when brewing this beer is once secondary is done, I keg it and put like 28psi on it for two days so it's ready to go quickly. Then just start pounding. After about a month in the keg the flavor dies down pretty badly.

Not sure why they say the IBU's are in the high 90's. My guess is because that is the max you can perceive?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #94
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed up Jamilz Hop Hammer Pliny Clone and its been in the keg now for three weeks so its till green. But I had to pull the keg last night since I honestly cant drink more that a pint every other day its so strong. Both in alcohol and mainly the HOPS! The smell is out of this world it smells like sticking your head in a 55gallon drum of hops. I never had the real thing since I still have not found it in a store. But I have pliny of other brews that are ready so I am going to let the HH/Pliny sit and hopefully it will smooth out a bit in the next few weeks. I am also having a hard time getting it to carb. I forced it at 25 for 4 days then 14psi for the past two and 1/2 weeks. When I pour it I hardly get 1/8" of head and that’s gone in minutes. Is this normal for this beer or does it take longer to fully carb due to the amount of hops or alcohol? I really made this for my wifes uncle he said I don’t make enough IPA's and he really wanted a hoppy beer so he's going to get a bunch at Christmas!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #95
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed 12 gallons of Pliny the Elder clone from BYO back in late November.

Normally I'd do 10 or so but I knew the hops would soak up a lot so I decided to make 12 gallons. Still only ended up with around 10.5 gallons in the fermeters due to the 21 oz of hops used in the boil (and another 4 in the mash).

I don't think I would have tried this without a HopStopper. The amount of hop sludge was incredible!

Some pictures of the kettle and the hopstopper after I drained:

It's hard to see in the photos but the hop sludge is about 1.5-2" deep in the bottom of the kettle, and about the same piled up on the hopstopper. I have to say the hopstopper is amazing. No problems draining - you just need to make sure to not go too fast once you get down near the end to avoid sucking air in through various channels which would then stop the flow of wort (a problem I had in the past when I drained really fast).

The recipe from BYO scaled up to 12 gallons and my efficiency if anyone's curious:

Pliny the Elder clone (106)
14-C Imperial IPA
Size: 12.0 gal
Efficiency: 92.91%
Attenuation: 85.0%
Calories: 253.86 kcal per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.077 (1.070 - 1.090) (was targeting 1.073)
Color: 8.29 (8.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 8.63% (7.5% - 10.0%)
Bitterness: 260.5 (60.0 - 120.0)

Ingredients:
1.0 ea Campden Tablet - added to 20 gallons in HLT
23.29 lb Standard 2-Row (La Quebecoise)
0.55 lb Crystal Malt 40°L
1.67 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
2.4 lb Corn Sugar
4.08 oz Chinook (11.5%) - added during mash
6.7 oz Warrior (15.4%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
1.27 oz Chinook (11.5%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
2.4 oz Simcoe (11.9%) - added during boil, boiled 45 min
2.45 oz Columbus (14.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
6.14 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
2.4 oz Simcoe (11.9%) - added during boil, boiled 0 min
26.0 g Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
26.0 g Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05
7.8 oz Columbus (14.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
4.2 oz Centennial (8.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
4.2 oz Simcoe (11.9%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Notes
25.5 lbs of grain.
Added campden tablet day before to 20 gallons Ottawa tap water.
Mash with (25.5 x 1.25)/4 = 8 gallons of strike water.
Single infusion mash @ 151F for 90 minutes. (Should be able to get the FG close to 1.010 - 1.011 with this low mash temp).
Mash out at 168F.
Sparge at 168F.
GU = 74 x 12 = 888. Pre-boil gravity should therefore be 888/14.75 = 1.060 (at 72F)
Collected 14.75 gallons. Measured 1.040/150F which is ~1.058/72F.
Added corn sugar (before boil). SG was 1.042/150F which is ~1.060/72F so right on target.
Boil for 90 minutes.
Got 10.5 gallons at 1.077/68F into fermenters. Lost a lot to hop absorption.
Ferment at around 68F using ~20 g of US-05 per 5.25 gallons.
Dry hop for 2 weeks

I racked it to the secondary a couple of days ago and it's slowly clearing now. I'll be kegging once it's clear in hopefully a week or two.

Kal

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #96
black95tt
Recipes 

^ THAT is an awesome sight. I've had tons of problems with my hop stopper loosing siphon right when it gets to the compression fitting connection. I was never able to get it to siphon all the way down, not once. I've tried different tubes, and compression fittings, neither worked. Are you saying that slowing down the flow will allow it to happen?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #97
skadalajara
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 35

AZ-IPA: If you're still reading this, the guy from Tops Liquors told me Russian River's gonna be available in AZ after the beginning of the year.
I can't wait!

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup

Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #98
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by black95tt View Post
^ THAT is an awesome sight. I've had tons of problems with my hop stopper loosing siphon right when it gets to the compression fitting connection. I was never able to get it to siphon all the way down, not once. I've tried different tubes, and compression fittings, neither worked. Are you saying that slowing down the flow will allow it to happen?

It did for me! I did 3 other batches before this one with the HopStopper - one of which was a really light lager with only 1 oz of pellet hops. I had the exact same problem: As soon as the level dropped to to outlet valve level, siphon stopped. I think it was happening because my combination of HopStopper/CFC is simply so efficient that you I flow wort through it fast as I want. So fast that once the level gets down you get air channelling into it from the upper surfaces which cause you to lose suction.

So for my pliny clone I siphoned fast until I was a few inches from the top of the kettle output valve and then slowed it right down. The pictures above show the result: I got every last ounce out of the kettle.

Kal

Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #99
black95tt
Recipes 

Wow, I can't believe I never thought of that. You wouldn't believe what I've been through trying to get that damn thing to work right. I ended up putting it on the shelf cause I got so frustrated. I'll give it another try using your technique over vacation next week. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM   #100
paradoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2696 View Post
have you had a chance to taste yet?

also, the calculated ibu comes in over 200 but the actual says 90-95?
Batch 3 is good, but also different. I modified my water profile, use whole rather than pellet hops, did the second dry hop in the keg, and a few other changes. I think it would have been better to make changes more gradually so I can evaluate what each change does. The hop flavor and aroma are stronger, more like the actual Pliny. With the increased hops, it is a different beer than the prior batches, but still quite good. I think I like the hop schedule from my original post. Might not have the same hop aroma as the original Pliny, but a bit more balanced hop and malt flavors. To each his own.

I'm told hop calculations are not accurate above about 100 IBU's. Suffice to say... there is plenty of hops in this beer for even the most hop addicted beer fiend.

Bottled: Vinnie's Blind Pig IPA
Next up: Pliny the Elder, my own IPA, Sake, homemade ginger ale