Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > keggle lids?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
nsheehan516
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default keggle lids?

Hello all! Im almost done building my single tier brew stand, got my pumps, kegs, QD's, and almost everything else I need to make the huge step to all grain. Just curious what others are using for lids for their keggles, Are you using a all stainless lid with a handle? Or a glass lid with SS handle and ring around the edge.

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to sparge (fly/batch) I will be step up for both. What are some of the better ways to do this? Through the top of the side of the keggle below the lid with a QD and through wall?

I have a lot more questions but they don't pertain to this thread.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

find some cheap aluminum lids. i used the two i had from my earlier turkey fryer setup and they fit perfectly.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Similar to above. I have a cheap aluminum pot set that had a lid the fit perfectly the size of the opening in my keggle.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #4
nsheehan516
Recipes 

did you go with the (aluminum/ solid) lids because they are cheap? Or because they work the best? I kinda like the idea of being able to see into the pot without lifting the lid. I don't know, I've never done it. I'm just trying to buy once because its cheaper in the end.

Oh yeah, I have not cut the tops of the kegs yet. I've been waiting for the lids.

thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheehan516 View Post
Hello all! Im almost done building my single tier brew stand, got my pumps, kegs, QD's, and almost everything else I need to make the huge step to all grain. Just curious what others are using for lids for their keggles, Are you using a all stainless lid with a handle? Or a glass lid with SS handle and ring around the edge.

I'm still trying to work out how I'm going to sparge (fly/batch) I will be step up for both. What are some of the better ways to do this? Through the top of the side of the keggle below the lid with a QD and through wall?

I have a lot more questions but they don't pertain to this thread.
You'll here different opinions on sparge types. Many of us batch sparge. It works fine. Bobby_M has a good write up on his batch sparge method on his website All Grain
If you decide to fly sparge, you might consider something that attaches to a lid and feeds out that way.

Good luck on the first batch.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I was amazed when my old aluminum lid from my turkey fryer pot fit one of my keggles perfectly. Didn't plan it that way, just worked out.

I just recently acquired another keg that was already converted to MLT and the hole is pretty big. I'm going to look around to see what I can find to cheaply make one.

My deep dish pizza pan I have would fit perfectly if I just bent it a little, but I'd rather keep that round for pizza usage.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsheehan516 View Post
did you go with the (aluminum/ solid) lids because they are cheap? Or because they work the best? I kinda like the idea of being able to see into the pot without lifting the lid. I don't know, I've never done it. I'm just trying to buy once because its cheaper in the end.

Oh yeah, I have not cut the tops of the kegs yet. I've been waiting for the lids.

thanks
Aha.

If you cut the lids properly, a standard 12" stock pot or frying pan lid works well. (What I am saying is use that as a basis to make your hole a specific size). If I am reading you right, you have 3 kegs. One for an HLT, one for an MLT, and one for a boil kettle. You will not need a lid for the boil kettle. I would personally recommend metal lids for the other two as they should hold in heat slightly better than a glass lid. Honestly there is really nothing to see while mashing.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not a whole lot to see while heating water either...a few bubbles, some steam. That's about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
RonRock
Always Ready
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I recently went through the same issue. I first planned on clear (glass, plastic) lids. Best way I could get them was WalMart skillet with a lid. around 18-20 bucks. Then started thinking about putting holes in them. Searched and found Stainless lids for 30 + shipping each. Times three and that was too high for me. I eventually settled on Aluminum lids I can get local at a restaurant supply company. I think they were less than 20 each, and I can get them easily. I also wanted my lids before I cut my tops out so that I was sure they would fit. I found that an 11 inch lid seems to be a pretty standard size for lids. Or pot covers as they call them in the food business.

Good luck.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
RonRock
Always Ready
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I also like to have a lid on my keggles while not being used. Keeps the crud out.