Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Lager Temps

Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
chode720
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Lager Temps

So I recently bought a fridge that I want to use as a kegerator and to brew some lagers in as well. I have a temp controller and have it set to 48 degrees.

I have seen that a lot of people ferment their lagers, do a diacetyl rest, and then drop the temp to 32-34 for several weeks. The only way I can get those temps is out in the garage during the winter.

So I was wondering if I can just keep it at around the mid 40s during the lagering phase or does it have to be stored in the low 30's? I presume that the lower 30's make the beer clearer and cleaner tasting.

Thanks

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 06-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

Surely the fridge can get into the mid to upper 30sF. That would be OK for lagering. The colder, the better, but if you can get into the 30sF it should still be good.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The way I do mine is I ferment around mid 40s till I think its almost done then I take it out of the fridge for a couple days and let it warm up to 55-60? whatever the temp in my garage is in the winter. Then after 2-3 days of that, back into the fridge and just turn the temp down a degree or two every couple of days till it gets to just above freezing. Then after a couple weeks really cold and the yeast has crashed out, I'll rack it into a carboy and put it back in there to stay for an indetermined period of time - it varies, basically I let it sit in there till I finish the keg that I want to put it in and am nearly out of similar beer to drink. So after anywhere from 2-3 weeks maybe up to 7-8 months of sitting in the fridge lagering, I'll keg it up. I use the same fridge for holding the kegs as I go for lagering which is not ideal because I have some Ales and generally they're not supposed to be served so cold - but I make do with what I have. I try to drink the Ales while the Lager is in the primary ferment and the temps are mid 40s-low 50s. Right now I have more Ales on taps than Lagers, and that needs to change because I drink a lot more Lager than Ale beer, that was kind of bad planning on my part but I've ended up with 2-3 big Ales and even though they're good, I'd much rather drink light hybrid type beers or Crisp Lagers where I can have 5-6 glasses or more and keep going - with my IPAs, APAs, and Browns might be able to have a second glass but generally to filling to drink.

Anyway, you make do with what you got you know ? If you can't get down to 30s, no need to fret about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
chode720
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

He reason why I don't want to lower the temps to the 30s is because the fridge is my kegerator as well. I don't want to keep changing the temp of the beer. I would like to keep it at serving temp (45-48) and was hoping this was okay to lager at too

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You'll make a good lager that way. I've done the same thing myself a few times, and can't say I can tell the difference between proper lagering. Of course, now I have an old fridge set to 32F, so I can keep myself in lagers during the summer. In the winter I lager at basement temps (40-45F) and am happy with the results.

Palmer talks about it here - How to Brew - By John Palmer - When to Lager