Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Easy Good Cider Recipe for Newbie

Old 10-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
Drahnreb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warispeace View Post
The smell should be gone by day 4 or 5, typically. Judging the cider by smell is not going to be very accurate. You're better off taking a hydrometer reading, you will get more consistent results that way.
Thank you. Do you know which one I need or if those two are the same?

Oechsleweight/Hydrometer to measure sugar content in wine, scale from -20 to +120

or

The Oechsleweight is the winemakers most important instrument. With the help of it it is possible to obtain considerably safer results.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

What are fellow brewers thoughts on Carbonating or not. I like the idea but I also like the idea of some sweetness too.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
warispeace
Recipes 

They're the same thing, only one of them comes with the flask. I would get that one, unless you already have a flask that size.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #14
CvilleKevin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you want carbonation and sweetness, start thinking about a kegging system. You can backsweeten with non-fermentable sugar, but it wont be close to the taste of the original natural apple sugar.

In my experience, sulfur smell is a sign of either sulfite (campden) used before pitching the yeast, or a ferment that is going too fast. Keep sulfite use to a minimum and keep the ferments cool and it will smell good.

Use the forum search function - it can answer just about any question

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
warispeace
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warispeace View Post
They're the same thing, only one of them comes with the flask. I would get that one, unless you already have a flask that size.
Actually, I'm not sure about the red one. The other one looks closer to the hydrometer I use.