Mowlawner Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Up North

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 63
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Clean and hoppy at first, then the hop dies down a bit and becomes more mellow.
I made this guy up for a swap between some of us Northern California folk. Turned out not to happen as much as I thought, but in the end a couple of us pulled through to create a delicious beer to exchange.

I wanted something that drank easily and accomplished the goal. Sadly there is a little too much hop for the SWMBO, but all in all it is spot on for a delicious Pale Ale. Great creamy spice from the Flaked Rye and a nice malt profile from the Victory and Marris Otter. The Crystal helps keep a little body since it attenuates so low. Finished off the keg of this about a month after brewing it during a party I was having at the house, perfect finish.

Early on the flavor of this is dominated by the Dry Hop addition, but in the end it smoothes out very well.

Mowlawner Pale Ale

7 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Flaked Rye
1 lb Victory
.5 lb Crystal 40L

1 oz Centennial (9.7%AA) 45min
.5 oz Centennial 10 min
.5 oz Centennial Dry Hopped on day 9 for 5 days

Irish Moss
US-05 yeast

I mashed this at 154 for 60 min, boiled for 90 minutes because I over sparged. I chilled this and then pitched at 75*, then fermented at 63 for two weeks.

This beer has that great pale ale flavor and crispness that I look for. It drank extremely well for many folks and lived a rather short life in the fridge. I brewed this and then promptly moved and then had a party, so it went fast at the party. I took a pic of a warm, shaken up pint from the keg, so pay no mind to the clarity, just the color and head.

photo-701364.jpg

Just made this again and it is so tasty. It has the right amount of hop bitterness to malty goodness. I tried a version also with some Honey Malt and don't like the lack of bitter to the malty. A little soft. So I went back to this recipe and it was just what I was looking for.

I think I'm going to try this recipe soon. I really like Victory Malt in my IPA and APA's. Does the flaked rye require a rest at lower temps or just a single infusion?

Single Infusion at the 154. Great drinking beer, though be prepared for some flavor! I actually need to give this another taste soon!

Back