Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Storm messed up my brewday; what are the consequences?

Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
cellardoor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Storm messed up my brewday; what are the consequences?

With about 15 minutes left in the boil of my 2-row/ Sorachi Ace SMaSH yesterday it started raining. I couldn't find an umbrella handy so I just let the rain hit the boil kettle. I didn't think that was too big of a deal until it started storming with about 5 minutes left. It was raining so hard it stopped the boil so I decided just to bring the brew inside to chill. When I was bringing in my keggle to where I chill the power went out so I was chilling in the dark and forgot to put in my flame out hops. I remembered when the wort was at about 120F and dumped them in. Immediately after dumping them in I realized I should have just saved them for dry hopping but it was too late. Add to that me dropping my flashlight into the wort and the siphon trouble in which I only collected about 4.75 gallons instead of 5.25ish and it was a pretty horrible brew day.

My questions are as follows: Will the rainwater affect anything? (I live in a Chicago suburb and I'm sure the rain is not that clean) Also will the flame out hops that I put in there at 120F until I racked which was about 20 min. later do anything or was it a waste of 3/4 oz. of hops?

Thanks ahead of time for the answers.

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The amount of rainwater that made it into the kettle won't do anything and the hops, while not a total waste won't add much because of the temperature. Any aroma they might add will mostly dissipate by the time primary and bottling/kegging is done. You'll definitely want to dry hop I think.

On the bright side, it will probably be the greatest beer you've ever made - and you'll never be able to duplicate it.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 06-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
seigex
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I think I'd be more concerned with dropping the flashlight in the wort. What temp was the wort at when that happened?? Assuming it was pretty low, since the power went out while the brew was already off the boil and I doubt you sanitized the flashlight before it dropped in. I think that would be your biggest problem.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
thejerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One of my most-used brewing tools:
Black Diamond Cosmo Headlamp from Backcountry.com
Whether it's checking on fermentation in a poorly-lit basement or late-night boils outside, this thing is a godsend. Plus it's great for snail-hunting in my garden.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigex View Post
I think I'd be more concerned with dropping the flashlight in the wort. What temp was the wort at when that happened?? Assuming it was pretty low, since the power went out while the brew was already off the boil and I doubt you sanitized the flashlight before it dropped in. I think that would be your biggest problem.
I wouldn't worry about ANYTHING....we've all done much worst...like dipped BODY PARTS in our beers....and still it manages to survive.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

as long as you got a decent original gravity, the beer will be fine. to be safe, i would put this batch into your keg. and avoid oxygen exposure during racking. relax, don't worry, and have a homebrew. (and get an exra umbrella for your kettle!)

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's rained on me the last two times I brewed. Granted I haven't ever lost the boil, but it's poured before. In fact the keg of the amber ale we dubbed "rainmaker amber" was just cashed, and it was great!

It will likely be the best beer you ever tasted.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Droot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IF the wort was over 140 during the flashlight part of the episode, you should be fine.

A bad day of brewing is better than a good day at work.

Best of luck. My beer is cooling right now..... 150 f and dropping.

David