Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob ? Why 2 spouts on the kettle?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
dgardyasz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Noob ? Why 2 spouts on the kettle?

How are you guys, 1st time brewer and so this is probably going to be a really dumb question, but it seems important to me lol. So i bought a brewing kit (this one Personal Home Brewery #4 - Bottling Super Deluxe | MoreBeer to be exact) and have read the crap instructions (kit instructions really DO suck), and the faq on the site but im stumped.

I assume the bottom opening in the kettle is for the ball valve along with the threaded barb to attach the vinyl tubing to transfer my wort to the carboy for fermentation. What is the top hole for and the only other hardware that came with it is a threaded nut that screws in but has a hole in the center (Won't my wort leak out of this?) Any help would be appreciated guys cause I don't want to start this until I figure it out and im VERY anxious to start lol.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
alpo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

thermometer or a sight glass tube

Old 06-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you don't want to stick a termometer on there, looks like you should get a 1/2" Male Pipe Thread Plug. At least with their description for their seperate boil kettle, it says that the male plug is included:

Heavy Duty Brew Kettle - With Ball Valve (32 Quart/8 Gallon) | MoreBeer
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 06-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
dgardyasz
Recipes 

While that makes sense, the kit came with a floating thermometer I'm assuming I drop that into the actual kettle where it floats on top? And I guess if it was the sight glass tube it should have been included? If you look at the pic it does come with that male pipe thread plug that fits but it has a hole drilled out in the center... Nothing else came with the kit, so I'm guessing I'm totally screwed on brewing today because of an 8th of an inch hole drilled in the nut until i buy a new one or you guys come up with something else (thanks for the prompt replies though)

Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgardyasz View Post
If you look at the pic it does come with that male pipe thread plug that fits but it has a hole drilled out in the center... Nothing else came with the kit, so I'm guessing I'm totally screwed on brewing today
That's what I noticed....but it looks like that generic pic for the seperate kettle actually shows a real plug (no hole in the middle). So you're sure there's nothing else in the kit that fits that hole...trying to see a list for your kit, there's a rubber stopper without hole....does that fit the hole?
On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 06-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 658 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 65

If you want to brew today, go to Home Depot, Lowes, or another hardware store and get a 1/2" NPT male plug. It should cost less than $1.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
dgardyasz
Recipes 

Yea Yuri I think thats what im gonna do just goto lowes and buy a new one. Thanks for all your help guys! I'm loving this forum already!