Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Two types of batch sparging and efficiency.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
chase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Two types of batch sparging and efficiency.

I normally do batch sparges where I vorlauf and drain off the first runnings, then add sparge water, wait about 10 min and then vorlauf and drain again.

I had a discussion with another brewer the other day where he said that you can just add some boiling water to the mash to raise the temp and then vorlauf and drain the whole batch.

So I tried this technique this morning on a robust porter and my effeciency sucked, 66%. Does anyone else use this type of sparging? Is it normal for efficiency to get so low? The main reason I ask is because my efficiency varies a bit from batch to batch, by about 5%, and I'm just curious if the technique dropped my efficiency or something else went wrong.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 06-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6043 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
I normally do batch sparges where I vorlauf and drain off the first runnings, then add sparge water, wait about 10 min and then vorlauf and drain again.

I had a discussion with another brewer the other day where he said that you can just add some boiling water to the mash to raise the temp and then vorlauf and drain the whole batch.

So I tried this technique this morning on a robust porter and my effeciency sucked, 66%. Does anyone else use this type of sparging? Is it normal for efficiency to get so low? The main reason I ask is because my efficiency varies a bit from batch to batch, by about 5%, and I'm just curious if the technique dropped my efficiency or something else went wrong.
It sounds like he did a "no sparge" brew. He did a mash-out, and no sparge. That's possible, of course, but you need to use more grain to make up the difference since you'll get pretty poor efficiency.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm still trying to get a handle on this AG stuff.....I did my first AG batch last week, looking forward to my 2nd this coming week, but not without a certain trepidation.
As I understand the no-sparge technique, the main purpose is when making a high-gravity brew like a barleywine where extended boil times are undesirable. You get high-gravity wort in an "only" runnings, and simply use as much grain as necessary and accept the inefficiency.
Please feel free to chime in with comments, as I have NO experience in this method.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6043 Times on 4307 Posts
Likes Given: 1555

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I'm still trying to get a handle on this AG stuff.....I did my first AG batch last week, looking forward to my 2nd this coming week, but not without a certain trepidation.
As I understand the no-sparge technique, the main purpose is when making a high-gravity brew like a barleywine where extended boil times are undesirable. You get high-gravity wort in an "only" runnings, and simply use as much grain as necessary and accept the inefficiency.
Please feel free to chime in with comments, as I have NO experience in this method.
There are some brewers who do the no-sparge technique because they feel it's faster and they're willing to use more grain to make up the gravity points they "lose" by not doing a sparge.

I think most brewers do some sort of sparge, though, whether batch sparging or fly (continuous) sparging.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
Are you sure this other brewer wasn't following this with another sparge addition? I ask, because unless he's mashing really thin, adding the entire quantity of sparge water at boiling temps would probably take his grain bed temp to well over 180F.