Alcohol in my root beer??? - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Alcohol in my root beer???

Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #21
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts

...Check out Vick's Formula 44D....

I made a few batches and it's not at all noticeable. A quarter of a percent ,huh?

If it would take me two 16 oz. bottles of regular comercial beer to get right on the lower fringe of noticing anything..... 3.2 percent? I'm 240lbs.

So say a 80lb kid. 3.2/.25 ratio. Almost thirteen as many bottles homemade rootbeer as I would have to drink regular beer at an equal weight - take a third for their weight - they would have to drink 4 times as many bottles as me to get to the bottom edge of noticing anything.

Hey this is a word problem! :-)

Would they drink eight bottles to even notice a little bit? I think the sugar would make them metablize the alcohol pretty fast too.

New house rule No more than seven homemade rootbeers at a sitting.

;-)

Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
DrunkCanuck73
Recipes 

Jan 2012
woodstock, nb
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

"New house rule No more than seven homemade rootbeers at a sitting. "

Haha, that's pretty good. I bought some root beer extract today to make with my son tonight.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the only way for your boy to get a buzz off the root beer is to drink all 5 gallions of the root beer in 2 hours.
On tap Cooper's lager, Cooper's Stout

Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
lawpaw
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For hundreds of years low alcohol beer was consumed by everyone (children included) as a source of food and hydration. Plain water wasn't safe back then in populated areas so it was a primary drink.

Strong stout beers were originally used as a source of nutrition for breast feeding mothers.

The kids will be fine, even at 1 or 2 percent (about 10x what it is).

Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #25
Raenon
Recipes 

Jan 2012
York, PA
Liked 76 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo11 View Post
I hate to think that 20 years from now he'll be on a corner with a brown bag cause I made homemade cola with him. OK that might be extreme but I'm sure all the dads know what I mean.
I tried my first taste of beer at 5 years old. Didn't like it, probably didn't help that my dad likes to drink some real swill because it's cheap...

At 10 years old, my dad pulled me aside and told me:

"My son, some day you're going to be tempted to drink. That's alright, there is nothing wrong with it. But you need to remember a couple of ground rules:

1. Drink at home, where it's safe. The beer is in the fridge.
2. I'm not buying for your friends.

and 3... "(this is where he leaned in close)

"NEVER take the last one!"

Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
Madmartigan
Recipes 

May 2011
cincinnati, OH

Hi guys,

I need your opinion. Based on what you guys are saying, there really is no fear of getting drunk off of homemade rootbeer, so long as the correct yeast is used (Red Champange Yeast i think someone said). My brother was an alcoholic, and has been 7 months sober (woo hoo!). When i found out he was an alcoholic it killed me because I used to love to share my homebrews with him, as he and I bonded over that in a way. So i was wondering if you think brewing rootbeer would be an acceptable replacement for a previous alcoholic? I will most certainly ask him and his wife about it too, but to get a consensus from you guys would be awesome too.

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #27
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 73 Times on 66 Posts

If I get it right, You use a small amount of yeast and it stops the fermentation and leaves enough/most of the sugar for sweetness.

There should not be enough alcohol to even notice.

Is it going bother him working with a process which could make alcohol easily under just slightly different circumstances?

Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #28
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Marietta, GA
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

If you think non-alcoholic beer is acceptable, then you should try a recipe for kvass. O'douls has like .5% abv