Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Homemade carbonator cap

Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Arkador
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Homemade carbonator cap

Air Chuck -- $2 (Lowes #3626 / 104ZN-RET)
1/4" x 1/4" Flare-to-Male Pipe Half Union (Lowes: #WATTS PB48)
Barbed Swivel Nut 5/16" barb to 1/4" FFL -- $3.25 (LHBS)
Tire Stem Valve -- $1 (Belle Tire)
2-Liter Soda Bottles & Caps

I also used a stainless T between my regulator and air chuck, so i don't have to constantly disconnect a gas QD to use it.

For the cost of The Carbonator, you can setup your CO2 and make 3-4 caps

wottaguy Likes This 
Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Pimp Juice
Recipes 

Very cool. May have to make a bunch of these. Could also put some cool valve caps on top...

to realize this
and most often
when you do
it's too late
and there's nothing worse
than
too late.
-Bukowski

Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
elpresidente
Recipes 

Nice! Now when you fill this thing up with beer and you wanna start carbing it do you use the same pressure as when carbing a keg? Same basic priciple as force carbing a keg and shaking it right?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I fill them with precarbed beer using BM's Beergun, then just drop 15psi on them to keep them carbed. No sense if using these to carb beer if you already have a kegorator. You can use these to carb up some homemade soda.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
No sense if using these to carb beer if you already have a kegorator. You can use these to carb up some homemade soda.
I must disagree on that reply I say this is a great idea when bringing a couple samples over to a party or friends house for the evening, simple small and cheap. The only expense is the valve stem price if a bottle was left behind or lost. So easy to take 3 or 4 different 2 litre brews along vs transporting 5 gallon corny's. I'm not rich enough and crazy to pay the price for2 or 3 gallon corny's. Nice to have yes but not the asking price of them.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
nealperkins
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've made several, super quick and cheap. They work better than the commercial (expensive) type in that they seal more easily to the bottle. I have to take a wrench with me to use those. These are so cheap that losing a couple doesn't cause heartburn.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Yorg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brilliant dude.
Next on my list to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
I fill them with precarbed beer using BM's Beergun, then just drop 15psi on them to keep them carbed. No sense if using these to carb beer if you already have a kegorator. You can use these to carb up some homemade soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
I must disagree on that reply I say this is a great idea when bringing a couple samples over to a party or friends house for the evening, simple small and cheap. The only expense is the valve stem price if a bottle was left behind or lost. So easy to take 3 or 4 different 2 litre brews along vs transporting 5 gallon corny's. I'm not rich enough and crazy to pay the price for2 or 3 gallon corny's. Nice to have yes but not the asking price of them.
Dude, reread Arkadors post all he is saying is if you already have a kegorator then you dont need to force carb the beer in the bottle just transfer and then top off using 15 psi with the cap to keep it carbed .

I am going to build some of these this weekend amongst the 100 other things on the list...ohh crazy me with four 3 gallon corny's

Old 06-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
No sense if using these to carb beer if you already have a kegorator. You can use these to carb up some homemade soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewBeemer View Post
I must disagree on that reply I say this is a great idea when bringing a couple samples over to a party or friends house for the evening, simple small and cheap. The only expense is the valve stem price if a bottle was left behind or lost. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Dude, reread Arkadors post all he is saying is if you already have a kegorator then you dont need to force carb the beer in the bottle just transfer and then top off using 15 psi with the cap to keep it carbed .

These are good if you make a little more than 5 gallons per batch and then carb a few bottles without the wait for the priming sugar. It's also a good way to get a preview of the beer you just kegged.
Arkador Likes This 
Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #10
BK_BREWERY
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just wondering what kind of material the valve stems were made out of, should it be made out of stainless steel valve stems, or will brass be ok with the beer, or aluminum or chrome plated? or will any of them work? must protect the beer!

thanks!