Do you prefer homebrew to commercial micro-brew? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Do you prefer homebrew to commercial micro-brew?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
snailsongs
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Eugene, OR
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yesterday I had a chance to sample my latest porter next to Central Waters Mudpuppy Porter. My porter was much much more enjoyable. It was smoother, richer and the chocolate coffee notes really popped out. The CW porter was somewhat bland, thin and tasteless in comparison.

I was honestly really surprised at this - Mudpuppy Porter was one of my go-to beers before I started brewing my own, and I think it's a great beer by most people's standards, so what gives? I've found I prefer my homebrew over much of the beer I used to drink, though there are still a few commercial beers I really enjoy (Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, New Glarus Crack'd Wheat both come to mind). is it simply because the commercial beer is filtered? Do you generally prefer homebrew to micro-brew too? Why do you think that is?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

I just like beer

All kidding aside, it depends. I still buy commercial beer for the plethora of varieties and styles at the store. I can only have 2 beers on tap right now. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I sometimes want a porter in August when I don't necessarily want to have 5 gallons of it.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
hammacks
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have found I'm am less and less impressed with run-of-the-mill commercial brews. Some microbrews leave me thinking "well I can do that, and better". I do still enjoy well done commercials are out of my league at the moment. So to question, I prefer homebrew for most daily drinkage, but enjoy a "special" commercial once or twice a week.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
remilard
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Kansas City
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

For any beer I brew, I can find a commercial example worse and a commercial example better.

Try starting a thread asking people if their kids are above average or below average.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
jacksonbrown

Recipes 

Mar 2008
Madison, WI
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, it totally depends. I love my beers, but I also enjoy a good micro when I'm out (and sometimes when I'm in). I love trying to varieties and getting to know what's out there, and learning what I do like about them. Also, some of my beers have certainly come out less than great, and given the choice between one of those and a Mud Puppy, I'd take the Mud Puppy.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
snailsongs
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Eugene, OR
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
For any beer I brew, I can find a commercial example worse and a commercial example better.

Try starting a thread asking people if their kids are above average or below average.
yeah I agree, but my point is that the more I brew the less I enjoy beers I used to think were exceptional. I don't even think the homebrews I am enjoying are that exceptional (atleast, not yet), but they win out most of the time. I guess the fact that I've been learning how to brew to my own tastes probably has a lot to do with it, that and the fact that I have a somewhat limited availability when it comes to commercial brews (don't have a mega beer store around here).

Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
Stevorino

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Alpharetta, GA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
I agree with this too, although I'm still relatively new to brewing. I am yet to taste a homebrew that I thought compared to my absolute favorite commercial beers -- but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
2. CYBI - Gordon's IPA Clone
3. BCS - Scottish -80
4. BCS - Specialty Saison (Gold Medal at BMO)
In Process:
1. BCS - Janet's Brown Ale (Fermenting)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
boydak

Recipes 

Mar 2009
Orrington, ME

I brewed a clone of Sam Adams Summer and like mine better than the original.

Reason: typo

Old 06-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4855 Times on 3272 Posts

I've made better and worse homebrew. My IPA was less great than Bell's Two Hearted, but the Centennial Blonde was very delicious! I've gone back and tried several micros that didn't really do it for me after making my own. Like the Wit I made. First batch was awesum. Second infected. Third good. Blue Moon... not as good.

Now that I'm AG, I really should make another Wit and see how much better it can be!

Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
Sigafoos

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Buffalo, NY
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I haven't made anything that I'd hand to someone and say 'This is better than anything you could buy,' or even 'Better than ___.'* I have made stuff that people have tasted and said 'wow, you made this?' to, which is good enough for me. I do this as a hobby, not a profession, and while I know I can (and will attempt to) improve I don't need to be better than Stone to feel like a success.

* Well, actually, last weekend my sister in law, who doesn't drink beer, said that my brown was better than Guinness, which I'd say is true but isn't really a fair comparison.

CBW website | Twitter | Facebook | HBT thread

Niagara Association of Homebrewers ex-President
Live in or around Buffalo? Join NAH for fun and excitement!

[1:47pm] chefmike: and dont listen to sigafoos!
[1:47pm] Sigafoos: that's generally good advice