Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > old coffee pot heat exchanger?

Old 06-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
mattybrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default old coffee pot heat exchanger?

So I've been toying with a few ideas for getting a recirculating system done and have a good grasp on the theory. The other day while going through the *crap* in the garage i found a preettyyyy darn old percolator-style coffee maker. It has an inner chamber of aluminum, and a heating element at the bottom that transfers heat to the entire unit. It even has an outlet valve at the bottom that is easily replaceable with a new fitting.

This this was designed to get a gallon or so of water up to coffee temps to recirculate (percolate) through its own system in probably 10-15 minutes. It's definitely got enough juice to hold flowing wort at 150-155 F. I was thinking of putting a whole in the lid, refitting the outlet, adding a volume knob to the electric element as a 'control' knob, and using this thing for a RIMS. Ideas? Suggestions? If i could find a way to make it relatively air-tight, I could also probably get away with leaving it at a level equal or below the mashtun, and allowing the pump to do its thing, rather than having to put it above and control flow.

feedback appreciated

Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you know the wattage of the heater?

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Rather than making it air tight put a heat exchange coil in it.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

the urn i use as a mash tun is a 100cup 1500watt unit. the wattage is usually listed on the bottom plate.
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency