Old 08-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #1
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

I've been having mice problems in the yard, common for desert life. Thought my buddy left my backyard...

But (s)he's Back!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Calgary
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Cool! You know what else keeps mice away? Irish Spring soap. No ****. A friend of mine stores his hot-rod out at a farm and all he does is cut a bar into four pieces and put them on the floor inside, then he cuts up another bar and scatters it around the wheels. No mice for the last four years.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
HomerT
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Wixom, MI
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
I've been having mice problems in the yard, common for desert life. Thought my buddy left my backyard...

But (s)he's Back!
Woah! "Red touches yellow, kill a fellow....red touches black..venom lack"

Looks like the real thing there. Coolio....so long as the kiddies and pets keep away.

-Todd

Old 08-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

The first year I lived up here, I saw this large brown rubbery looking snake in the meadow. So, I searched on "brown rubber snake oregon": Rubber boa! Wish I had gotten a picture, but they spend most of their time in rodent tunnels catching & digesting criters.

I think this beauty got a bath for the photo op:

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
DesertBrew
Dirty blonde

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 115 Times on 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT
Woah! "Red touches yellow, kill a fellow....red touches black..venom lack"

Looks like the real thing there. Coolio....so long as the kiddies and pets keep away.

-Todd
98% sure it's a king snake. That's not a high res picture but if I zoom in really close; that's just white bands between the orange and black. It's the 2% that always concerns me however .

I search for AZ coral and AZ king and I've yet to see a pic of any that look just like this guy. AZ coral's have a definitive wide yellow stripe. I've see it in my backyard for the past 3-4 years in summer. Keeps getting bigger. Dave, you used to live here. King right?

I got to try that irish spring. But I'll have to go to Sams Club as I got a lot of em.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 528 Times on 424 Posts

Jesus Christ, I hate snakes. Thank God there's virtually no poisonous snakes around here (I think a few timber rattlers may live in the mountains, nothing I've ever come across). I'm a chicken****, not afraid to admit, when it comes to snakes; if I see even a garter snake, I'm grabbing a shovel and chopping the damn thing in half.

Needless to say, there's a particular movie coming out now that I WILL NOT be going to see.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Cool! You know what else keeps mice away? Irish Spring soap. No ****. A friend of mine stores his hot-rod out at a farm and all he does is cut a bar into four pieces and put them on the floor inside, then he cuts up another bar and scatters it around the wheels. No mice for the last four years.
A friend of a friend owns an auto boneyard and had a problem with rats stealing his Lava soap. Found all of the bars under the hood of a Chevy.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 08-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

I've seen corals without any yellow on them or the yellow is so pale it looks white.

But, the bands on a coral will go all the way around and they are rarely over 2 feet long. Stiil, I'm not expert.

I have a health respect for venomous snakes. The area in Illinois where I was raised was close to a race track & we would see rattle snakes once in a while.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
HomerT
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Wixom, MI
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
98% sure it's a king snake. That's not a high res picture but if I zoom in really close; that's just white bands between the orange and black. It's the 2% that always concerns me however .
http://www.reptilesofaz.com/Snakes-S...-lecontei.html
Appears to be a western longnose....

Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

thats a longnose snake. same patterns as a coral but non venomous. Ive caught 3 this year. You can tell becasue the bands dont go all the way around.

Its a kingsnake/milksnake not sure which, and they are usually well tempered, so feel free to pick it up