Amber Ale Suggestions - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Amber Ale Suggestions
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 06-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Fort Collins, CO

So I'm looking for a nice and balanced Amber Ale. I've just begun home brewing and I want to play with the blend of hops and malts along with alcohol content. So what I'm thinking of is a variation of my first brew recipe, a simple amber extract and Willamette hops. I want to add 1 lb. of extract and 1 lb. of dextrose to the recipe to give my yeast plenty of food and nutrients. I also want to steep some grains to play with the character. Plus some good hopping to match the malt. I do like my hops but I don't want to over power it. Here's the breakdown:

7 1/2 pounds Amber malt extract
1 lb. Pale malt
1 lb. Biscuit malt
1 1/4 oz. hops ??? (60 min)
3/4 - 1 oz. (15 and 5 min)

Simple enough?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Yooper's Dead Guy clone is a good Amber..no make that a great Amber. She has both Extract and AG recipe in the database.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/dead...ee-note-25902/

Old 06-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Treehead_Woodfist
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Clemson

I recently made an amber ale. Here is the recipe I put together:

6# Amber dry extract
1# Extra light dry extract
.5# Honey malt (steeped grain)
.5# Caramunich (steeped grain)

.5 oz Perle (50 min.)
1 oz Argentine Cascade (20 min.)
.5 oz Perle (3 min.)

1/4 tsp Irish moss (10 min.)

1 oz. Sweet orange peel (5 min. during wort cool-down)

US-05 yeast

I'm a big fan of the hop combination. I probably could have cut the specialty grains down to about 0.25 lb each. I've never experimented with alcohol content, but I think you may need to look into that a little more. The yeast should have plenty of sugars from the malt alone. Yeast will consume the dextrose first because it is a more simple sugar and ethanol becomes inhibitory to the yeast at certain concentrations depending on the yeast strain so you may need to look into champagne yeast or something. I wouldn't want you to end up with an overly sugary beer!