Originally Posted by cheesenbeermmm
So I started on a soft cow milk cheese right before I went camping cause I needed the milk jug to be empty so i could freeze it for cold. Basic recipe...1/2 gal milk, 4 oz mesophilic starter, few drops of rennet. Well I didn't have the time before we left to drain it so i left it sit in the fridge till we got back. This was after about 24 hours at room temp. It is in a stainless steel 3 qt pot. Upon returning, I find that the whey is a deep purple. Can this be from pH level messin with the SS? Any thoughts?
Uh... so how long did this sit in your fridge?
And no, this is definitely not from stainless steal. Its probably from a bacterial or mold growth. I would toss it, unless you want to take the risk of making everyone who eats it sick.