Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I haven't worked in 917 days...

Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
DrinksWellWithOthers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default I haven't worked in 917 days...

Yep that's right.. 917 days. I hurt my back right after college at work, lost a job I had lined up, went through hell with Workers Comp and settled my case last fall. Since then I applied for about 200 jobs in the past 6 months without any luck.

And FINALLY I caught a break today! I got a job offer working in inventory management in the healthcare industry. Its only part-time and not where I imagined myself at this point in my life but it pays decently and I get medical and dental and paid vacation, holidays, etc. My new boss seems like a great guy and it sounds like a good company to work for with lots of opportunities for moving up.

So tonight, raise a pint with me in celebration for the drought is over and I'm able to move on! I'll be celebrating at the East Ave Cafe in RI with my brother where there's going to be a Sierra Nevada promotion night.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
mstev50
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Congrats! I've been out of work for 6 months now and get more discouraged every day. Glad to hear someone had some good news for a change.
Now don't drink too much and hurt that back again!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats! I too have been off for awhile. It's coming up to five months for me. I do have an interview on Wednesday, but I am not getting my hopes up.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
Yep that's right.. 917 days. I hurt my back right after college at work, lost a job I had lined up, went through hell with Workers Comp and settled my case last fall. Since then I applied for about 200 jobs in the past 6 months without any luck.

And FINALLY I caught a break today! I got a job offer working in inventory management in the healthcare industry. Its only part-time and not where I imagined myself at this point in my life but it pays decently and I get medical and dental and paid vacation, holidays, etc. My new boss seems like a great guy and it sounds like a good company to work for with lots of opportunities for moving up.

So tonight, raise a pint with me in celebration for the drought is over and I'm able to move on! I'll be celebrating at the East Ave Cafe in RI with my brother where there's going to be a Sierra Nevada promotion night.

get a supply chain degree, i'm 7 classes away from mine. supply chain is crucial no matter the economy.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #5
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Congrats!! Its great to see someone like yourself that has the persistence to keep applying and not giving up. It may not be the job you wanted but its a step in the right direction that may lead you to opportunities you haven't thought of yet. I'll toss back a pint of Apfelwein for you tonight.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Those are pretty good bennies for a part time job!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

congrats on the job. hope it turns into perm. for those who are looking keep at it. youll find something. have faith and keep a smile on your face and your spirits up. i know its hard but just realize there is something for everyone

Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
zac
Thread Killer

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 150 Posts

Congrats, I just hired a guy after sifting through over 700 applications for the job.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found out a long time ago...find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life...so, after 35 years of not working I get to retire in 7 months...

Old 06-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
Borisbbadd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I found out a long time ago...find a job you like and you'll never have to work a day in your life...
I've heard that, but so far I haven't been able to convince anyone to let me be a hiking boot tester, or to give me my own fishing show............

Besides, if I liked my job, I wouldn't have anything to bitch about !!!