Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Light Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #221
Schlenkerla
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonatedColon View Post
I brewed an extract version of this using Pale Malt extract and dry rice extract, hopped with Hallertau. Color is a little darker then most posts on here but still the lightest i've brewed yet.

OG was 1.034 - I had something interesting happen that I have never seen before. This brew sat in the primary for 7 days, it hit 1.006, then it was racked to the secondary and I added a teaspoon of Amalyse Enzyme. After 14 days in the secondary it only dropped to 1.002.

But the strange thing is that this beer has begun to carbonate in the secondary?? when I dropped in the siphon, bubbles began rising ... and when I was filling the bottles, the beer had a foamy head?? Is this normal? Are these bubbles and foam a result of the Amalyse? ... further to that, because I primed as normal, will i be seeing my first bottle bombs?

Please dont jump over me when I tell you that I added Lime Juice to the bottling bucket for the last 12 bottles. i cant help but experiment. (later tonight I was thinking of pouring a bottle of Strawberry Blonde and a bottle of Chocolate stout into the same glass...)

The next time someone comes over and tries my Stout or Pale Ale and says "yea, it's not bad, but do you know what would be really good, if you made a beer with Lime in it!" I can take a deep breath and pour them one of these.
I am thinking since it was as 1.002 it was still cranking away. As for the lime it will probably ferment out, as for bombs, probably not an issue unless you added a bunch of juice. Wait and see. Next time use lime peel (zest) instead. I would do this in the last 5 minutes of the boil.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #222
IslandMike
Recipes 

Hello,

I just made the extract version of this for a friend of mine and it seems that it went pretty well. I used Hallertau, however it was the first time I used the late extract addition technique and I think my IBUs ended up closer to 22 than 17ish. The OG sample tasted pretty bitter to my friend and I was wondering how much bitterness will subside over the fermentation/conditioning process.

Edit: Found the Enzyme on an online retailer

Last edited by IslandMike; 08-25-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #223
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandMike View Post
Hello,

I just made the extract version of this for a friend of mine and it seems that it went pretty well. I used Hallertau, however it was the first time I used the late extract addition technique and I think my IBUs ended up closer to 22 than 17ish. The OG sample tasted pretty bitter to my friend and I was wondering how much bitterness will subside over the fermentation/conditioning process.

Edit: Found the Enzyme on an online retailer
Bitterness will not subside. Its pretty much locked in there. Still at 22 most HB'rs will like it though. As for IBUs, 16-18 is a good 5 points lower. Usually it take 5 points for most people to detect a difference.

Drinking it for awhile might make it seem to subside as your palate adjusts to the bitterness. You just need hot day to make you thirsty!

Did you keg the beer? Often freshly force-carbed beer has a harsh carbonic bite which can be confused with bitterness if you are not used to it. The carbonic bite dissipates after a week.

If you bottle your beer it might mellow after a couple weeks in the fridge. I don't think the bitterness will tame down but odd flavors will be less prominent. It will seem more crisp and clean tasting.

Good Luck, drink up!

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #224
IslandMike
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I imagine I will end up liking it regardless, however I am trying to use this to bring a couple of my friends into the wonderful world of home brew. Can't wait to see the end result though.

Cheers

Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #225
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Anybody try this one lately?

Islandmike - How is your beer tasting now?

BS Nano-Brewery

Old 09-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #226
IslandMike
Recipes 

It coming along. I've had a bit of a problem getting some of that enzyme though so it is sitting right now at 1.009. Its pretty tasty and I imagine it will still be good once chilled and kegged. I am still hopeful that I can find somewhere else near me that will carry it. Homebrew stores are pretty much limited to brew-on-premises places or online stores with crappy shipping costs for me.

If I cant find the enzyme I will probably keg the beer and do another batch when I do get a hold of some.

Also any issues I thought there might be with bitterness are gone. I like it at slightly higher IBUs... mind you I don't have the original to compare it to.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #227
jtrainer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandMike View Post
It coming along. I've had a bit of a problem getting some of that enzyme though so it is sitting right now at 1.009. ....
Rebel Brewer is where I ordered mine from.
OnTap: Air

Fermenter: Imp Vanilla Porter, BackAtIt IPA
OnDeck: Happy New Beer

Old 09-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #228
Dauntless
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IslandMike: you could try looking in a pharmacy for generic "digestive enzymes". Just read the ingredient list and make sure to have some amylase in there.

Might be a little more expensive that the specific homebrew stuff, but it got my version of this down from 1,040 to 1,000. It's crisp, a little citrusy from some flameout cascade and pretty quaffable even warm and uncarbed.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #229
marcelo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

very long secondary fermentation, I added the AE and nothing happened, should i add more yeast?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #230
CarbonatedColon
Recipes 

this beer turned out really nice. I recently served it to some Coors Light drinkers who both threw back their heads with disgust after the first sip, however, after the glass was empty, the both had the same comments on two separate occasions without talking to each other. They both admitted they thought it was gross on the first sip and the taste wasn't what they were expecting, however the beer got better and better as they got closer to the bottom of the glass..... they both asked for another. Personally I was drinking a Chocolate Stout.