Ayinger Celebrator Double Bock - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Ayinger Celebrator Double Bock

Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
pericles
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Bryn Mawr, PA
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I ordered this for the first time without realizing it was a bock. I'm already not a bock fan, and BeerAdvocate gives this beer an A+, so maybe it's an issue of taste, and not absolute quality but. . .

. . . this was horrific. I mean honestly, this beer was the sort of thing we'd ally with France and England to combat. Two days later, I still can't get the pudding reek out of my mouth and nose. Truly, just terrible.
Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #2
Poindexter

Recipes 

Oct 2007
interior Alaska
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ayinger has put together a stable of really good beers, I think of them as the Sam Smith's of Germany.

The only style they make that I like is Dopplebock, but good (&*)$%*)^) man, what a Dopple.

If you like Hefe's, you'll probably like the Ayinger Hefe just fine.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Jimbo
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pericles View Post
I ordered this for the first time without realizing it was a bock. I'm already not a bock fan, and BeerAdvocate gives this beer an A+, so maybe it's an issue of taste, and not absolute quality but. . .

. . . this was horrific. I mean honestly, this beer was the sort of thing we'd ally with France and England to combat. Two days later, I still can't get the pudding reek out of my mouth and nose. Truly, just terrible.
I just have to say you dont know jack about beer then. This stuff is bar far the best beer on the planet and I'm not the only one saying it. You should expand beyond Stella or Corona.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Leatherneck1960
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Iowa City

This beer rocks!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
KPatton
Recipes 

May 2009

I have to say that Bocks, particularly Dobbel Bocks are an acquired taste. The malt predominates over hops by a mile. If you have pedestrian tastes it isn't something you'd like. Best stay with the commercial stuff, the N. European Pils, you know the kind that comes in the green glass, or Lt. American Lagers. Don't even think about delving into Belgian ales.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Liked 489 Times on 378 Posts

this is possibly one of the best beers I've ever had.

OP, what temp were you drinking at? I didn't touch it until it reached 50F

Old 12-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Dkmount721

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Kilgore, Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah Celebrator is hands down my favorite lager. Sorry you don't like.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
supe_kitchen
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I am curious if OP is a hop head? Unlike most, my gateway to good beer was not an IPA. I got turned on by optimator and have loved huge malty beers ever since, I also love me some belgians. As for other styles I seem to enjoy them all, except maybe rauchbier which i have never found one that I liked (even the one I brewed). The reason I ask if OP is a hop head is because celebrator is a great example of a doppelbock, and most hop heads seem to think that there is only one type of beer that is good (extremely hoppy). Personally, I love celebrator because it is roasty, malty, and finishes really clean for something this dark. This beer is great, best one I ever had was at the brewery in aying, since they don't pasteurize there (only the ones they ship to the USA).

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
davekippen

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Grand Ledge, MI
Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts

I just had it for the first time. It has to be in my top 5 all time favorites. Fantastic brew.