A 6" diameter aluminum heat duct knuckle, mounted for the chimney. It was painted with black high temp BBQ paint and once positioned correctly, the angle was secured using a whole bunch of sheet metal screws.
Thermometer and handle mounted. The handle was borrowed from an old gas BBQ destined for the dump and the thermometer was a $6 hardware store piece. It does the job, but the range is way too large for BBQ. I would prefer a dial between 75 and 300 so I had better detail in the range of 200-250 that I typically use. This one covers 50-700 so you have to squint a little.
Chimney mounted. The chimney is all aluminum heating duct that's been painted, even the cap is from the hardware store's heating aisle. I had some question over whether it would hold up vs stove pipe but it does a fantastic job and I've never had any issues, plus it's cheap. I also had concern but wind so I probably over secured it, but it has survived windstorms that have knocked over the closed porch umbrella with the 100 pound concrete base so I'm confident now.
The chimney stands an additional 3+ feet over the smoker and the length serves to draw the smoke and create better airflow from what I've read. Either way it looks pretty cool and spreads the smell around the neighborhood.
I lined the bottom with red clay brick. This keeps the coals from resting on the steel, insulates and holds the heat, and provides weight and stability to the tall smoker. I used 17 bricks and they were regular red clay, it's not worth the extra money for "fire bricks" in this application.
The coal grate. This was just a crappy aluminum grate out of an old fridge, I ended up putting this one up top to hold the water pans and using a rock grate from a dead gas BBQ for the coals. This keeps the wood up off the brick so that there is airflow and room for the ash.