Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Mother's milk oatmeal stout

Old 02-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
doghousechef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Final Update:

I'm drinking my experiment now. There is a definite maple aroma and noticeable flavor. The regular stout is one of the best beers I've brewed so far. I'm not sure if I like this better or not. It is a little more carbonated and therefor a bit creamier mouthfeel, but I don't think that comes from the fenugreek. The maple flavor on the approach kind of dissipates into a little more bitterness than the regular version and is faintly reminiscent of celery on the finish. I have to say I like this beer both ways and will probably brew it both ways in the future. My wife has been battling thrush since the birth, so she hasn't tried any of it yet. I still don't know how it will affect her milk supply, but I've a unique and pretty tasty brew.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Dinklefwat
Recipes 

Do you think you can explain in detail exactly how you used the fenugreek? I was interested in doing something like this, and am curious as to exactly how much you used, how, when, etc. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #13
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 842 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

FYI: Keegan's Ales in Kingston, NY makes a beer called "Mother's Milk".

Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
doghousechef
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinklefwat View Post
Do you think you can explain in detail exactly how you used the fenugreek? I was interested in doing something like this, and am curious as to exactly how much you used, how, when, etc. Thanks!
Since I just wanted to experiment with this batch, I pulled off a half gallon into a growler after fermentation was done(a week after brewing). I pulsed some of the fenugreek in a coffee grinder and added 1/2 teaspoon to the growler. I let it sit there for about a week and a half before bottling. When I do this as a full batch, I'm going to use about 2 tbsp and just throw it into the primary. It seemed to float, so you might put it in a bag.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
WestCoastHopper
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey man, I don’t mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I find myself in the same position you did, and I am throwing around the idea of a fenugreek, low alcohol breastfeeding beer. My problem is the wife is a fan of the really hoppy pales (loves the cascades). She usually finds stouts a bit boring (her words).

I wonder what you think this brew would taste like with a more aggressive hop schedule (along the lines of a Cascadian dark)? A little bit of a west-coast momma milk. I’m not sure if the hops would work with the maple undertones of fenugreek.

I have a bit of a super dark CDA bottle conditioning right now, I may grind up some fenugreek and add it to a bottle to see the effect to see.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:11 AM   #16
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Can anyone tell me the difference in using flaked oats as opposed to regular oats or vice versa. What is the highest percentage of oats to use in a batch? Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 04:17 AM   #17
Flomaster
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I like to squeeze my wife's tittie into my hot cup of coffee to get my milk in there.

-=Jason=-

Old 09-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #18
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastHopper View Post
Hey man, I donít mean to resurrect a dead thread, but I find myself in the same position you did, and I am throwing around the idea of a fenugreek, low alcohol breastfeeding beer. My problem is the wife is a fan of the really hoppy pales (loves the cascades). She usually finds stouts a bit boring (her words).

I wonder what you think this brew would taste like with a more aggressive hop schedule (along the lines of a Cascadian dark)? A little bit of a west-coast momma milk. Iím not sure if the hops would work with the maple undertones of fenugreek.

I have a bit of a super dark CDA bottle conditioning right now, I may grind up some fenugreek and add it to a bottle to see the effect to see.
Hops also improve lactation, so go for it!

If you are looking for inspiration beyond fenugreek (which creates a maple syrup flavor/odor sometimes), try blessed thistle, alfalfa, goat's rue, milk thistle, papaya, fennel, motherwort, asparagus racemosus, red raspberry and leaf, chamomile, comfrey tea, sassafras tea, ginseng tea, licorice tea, brewer's yeast, anise, astralagus, flax, nettle, burdock, boza, althaea root, quinoa, oatmeal, etc..

Thing is, whatever you add, make sure your wife and child are not allergic to it and read up on the side effects, because you can really mess things up if you do it the wrong way. However, a lot of these were traditionally used in bittering brews already. Plus others just are tasty to add, or dangerous.
beernwine Likes This 
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
Wernerherzog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a crazy homebrew friend who is looking to make a milk stout with "mother's milk". I think he's single at the moment so he may need a surrogate.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernerherzog View Post
I have a crazy homebrew friend who is looking to make a milk stout with "mother's milk". I think he's single at the moment so he may need a surrogate.
gross