Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Five Horizons Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
30 Tinseth
Color
39 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nope
Additional Fermentation
nope
This Chocolate Stout is really good. I call it Five Horizons because of my love for the band Pearl Jam and their song "Black". The chocolate comes through HUGE which is the point here. It makes a great desert beer, stout float or irish car bomb.

Grain:

20LBS American 2-row
2 LBS flaked oats
1LB Chocolate Malt
1LB Roasted Barley

Hops:

3 OZ East Kent Goldings 60 minutes
1 OZ East Kent Goldings 15 minutes

30 IBUs Tinseth

Yeast:

Nottingham

Extras:

8OZ 100% Cocoa Power added 5 minutes before flameout
Dash of Chocolate Essence added when kegging

OG 1.060 w/ 70% mash efficiency.
Single infusion mash at 154 degrees.

Adjust grains to your efficiency & batch size.

Notes:

*The Cocoa powder MUST BE 100% Cocoa Power. This is the key to this beer.
*Chocolate essence is for aroma.
*The other key is to let it sit in the primary for as long as possible. The longer it sits on the trub the more chocolate flavor you will have. I'm not sure why; it's just how it's worked out in my experience.
*Serve on Nitro for best results.

Cheers

Mike

Has anyone else tried this recipe? If so, how did it turn out? I am looking for a really chocolaty chocolate stout.

bump

Swmbo wants to make a chocolate stout. This one seems like a nice simple recipe with lots of chocolate. was it unsweetened cocoa powder? has anyone else made this recipe? how did it turn out?

Just made this tonight. Everything the same but came out OG 1.084. Will let you know how it comes out in a couple weeks. So far tastes good... Coco crisp style

I just brewed this on 11/15/2001. I scaled it back to a 5 gal batch, and used the 8oz container of Hershey's Unsweetened Cocoa Powder. I can report what the gravity sample tastes like, but when I rack this beer, it'll be going on some PB2 (trying to make a reese's peanut butter cup stout).

So the gravity sample was pretty tasty, but not very chocolaty. I added more, along with 3/4 lb of lactose, and a lb of PB2 into the secondary. We will see how this comes out in a week or two.

That said, I would definitely make the stout again, as it was a pretty good stout.

This Chocolate Stout is really good. I call it Five Horizons because of my love for the band Pearl Jam and their song "Black". The chocolate comes through HUGE which is the point here. It makes a great desert beer, stout float or irish car bomb.

Grain:

20LBS American 2-row
2 LBS flaked oats
1LB Chocolate Malt
1LB Roasted Barley

Hops:

3 OZ East Kent Goldings 60 minutes
1 OZ East Kent Goldings 15 minutes

30 IBUs Tinseth

Yeast:

Nottingham

Extras:

8OZ 100% Cocoa Power added 5 minutes before flameout
Dash of Chocolate Essence added when kegging

what would 1-2 lbs of lactose do to this beer?

just brewed this on sunday. made a 5.5 gal batch. I cut the recipe in half except for the chocolate malt and roasted barley. also used the full 8 oz Hershey's cocoa powder(rehydrated). it's going crazy in the fermenter right now. it tasted amazing going into the fermenter.

does anybody think that leaving the roasted barley at 1 lb will give an extremely strong coffee flavor?

just brewed this on sunday. made a 5.5 gal batch. I cut the recipe in half except for the chocolate malt and roasted barley. also used the full 8 oz Hershey's cocoa powder(rehydrated). it's going crazy in the fermenter right now. it tasted amazing going into the fermenter.

does anybody think that leaving the roasted barley at 1 lb will give an extremely strong coffee flavor?

Probably not. If you want a coffee flavor grind some coffee (course like a french press to prevent oxidation) and "dry hop" in the keg or secondary.

Started at .058 and finished at .018. Tasted wonderful going into the keg. Thx for a great recipe.

Back