National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #31
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1213 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It's showing up for me but if you don't see it, the direct link is
http://www.suebob.com/images/brew/mlt/mltsizetable.gif

Old 10-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #32
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Monk View Post
So I just finished building a five gallon mash tun from a round rubbermaid cooler (before reading this thread). I'm a noob at AG so bear with me. My question deals with sparging. If I'm maxed out at 12 lbs as the chart says, can I do a batch sparge or do I have to fly sparge? Does one's sparging method make any difference relating to the max grain/OG the tun can handle?
I ask because I plan on doing EdWort's Haus IPA this weekend and I need to know if I should build a sparge arm. I'm assuming batch sparging shouldn't be much different. I would just have to do more batch sparges to get to my target volume?
Thanks for the help.
The chart is based on how much you can mash with a tiny bit of headspace remaining. You would be able to fly sparge no matter what but your batch sparge infusions might have to be broken into two half volumes if you've got it maxed out.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #33
Spannuta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's showing up for me but if you don't see it, the direct link is
http://www.suebob.com/images/brew/mlt/mltsizetable.gif
yea, its the computer I am on, because its giving me "page load errors" when I click some of the links in your signature. Its all good though, I got the chart on my cell phone browser!!

Thanks for your help man. Great chart! Sorry for cluttering the thread.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM   #34
Keith_Mahoney
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a question but it's looking at size in the opposite direction. I plan on getting a 10 gal cooler because l like strong beer ( I don't typically drink anything less than 7% and drink beer much stronger than that daily.) If I wanted to brew something a little lighter for the wife (5gal batch) how low could I go on the OG with still having a thick enough grain bed? I think Palmer recommends at least 8" but definitely no less than 4

Also is the OG in your chart pre or post boil?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:04 AM   #35
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The OGs in the chart are post boil. If you batch sparge, the bed thickness doesn't matter at all. If you prefer fly sparging, you could just decide to batch sparge low OG 5 gallon batches.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #36
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I am planning on setting up a HERMS system, no in between stuff, I'm jumping in with both feet. I will get a keggle for a boil pot. A ten gallon drink cooler with false bottom for MLT and convert my 7.5 gal aluminum pot to an electric HLT.

Most of my beers will be over 1.070 but will this set up do beers around 1.050? And is a false bottom they way to go in a HERMS setup?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
SamuraiSquirrel
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Just a thought but bigger is not always better. I have a ten gallon cooler and find that for smaller beers where I am filling less than 50% of the cooler volume I lose about 5 to 6 degrees over the 60 minute mash. I am thinking about getting a smaller cooler for smaller O.G. beers and using my 10 gallon cooler only for beers that the 5 or 7 gallon cooler can't hold. The dead space in the cooler seems to contribut to heat loss over the mash. ................ maybe I just have a crappy cooler though.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #38
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Cut yourself a circle out of rigid foam that fits into the cooler perfectly. Rest it down on the top of the grainbed to remove the headspace as a factor.
blackhammer Likes This 
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #39
mnHawk8
Recipes 

Found my answer.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #40
woopig
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure this has been covered, but I'm having trouble finding it. All the talk seems to be about having a mash tun that's big enough. I'm deciding between the NB 5 gallon and 10 gallon cooler system. So, if I still want to do some 5 gallon batches, am I going to regret getting the 10? I thought I had heard something about needing an adequate grain bed depth, but nobody seems to talk about that much. Any thoughts?
gmh1975 Likes This