Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > This is how big your Mash Tun needs to be

Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #201
Vaevictus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was inspired by that image and catalyzed by its absence, so i made this google spreadsheet. It's rather customizable.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...6eUtxQVE#gid=0

I brought it up here for discussion: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/mlt-...-i-get-443654/

Lemme know what you think.

Reason: url broken
br1dge Likes This 
Old 11-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #202
Jontonamo
Recipes 

How big of a false bottom should I have for a 100qt stainless stock pot?

Old 12-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #203
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontonamo
How big of a false bottom should I have for a 100qt stainless stock pot?
Volume is not the question, its the dimensions. It needs to fit tight to the sides. The less dead space underneath the better, but you need to work around the mechanics at the bottom of the kettle.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas
br1dge Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 AM   #204
sandyeggoxj
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 312 Posts

Pretty slick. Thanks for the work!

If you don't love bacon then you are letting the terrorists win!!

Want to make better beer?
Remember this: Measure, Test, Learn.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #205
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Well I think I need 10 gallons of Barley Wine... Let it age for a few years before you drink it.... I mean it always is good to have 40 or 50 gallons in reserve...

Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #206
Homer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am fairly new to all grain, so I might have been off on my water volume calculations, but I ran out of room in my 52 qt rectangular mash tun while batch sparging a 10 gal 1.065 pale ale. So, I decided to upgrade, and am about to pull the trigger on this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70...Cooler/4807332

I plan on doing mostly 10 gal batches and batch sparging, I want to be able to do strong beers in here too (8-9%), will this cooler cut it. Reading through this thread and seeing some other charts, it seems like it would while mashing, but not sure about when I batch sparge.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #207
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1324 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
I am fairly new to all grain, so I might have been off on my water volume calculations, but I ran out of room in my 52 qt rectangular mash tun while batch sparging a 10 gal 1.065 pale ale. So, I decided to upgrade, and am about to pull the trigger on this:

I plan on doing mostly 10 gal batches and batch sparging, I want to be able to do strong beers in here too (8-9%), will this cooler cut it. Reading through this thread and seeing some other charts, it seems like it would while mashing, but not sure about when I batch sparge.

Thanks
your volume calcs are way off.

how big is your grain bill, how much water are you using for strike and for the sparge?

if you're running out of room in your tun while batch sparging, you can always split it into two equal sparges.

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #208
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 487 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:

Thanks
yep, that will be fine.

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #209
Homer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
your volume calcs are way off.

how big is your grain bill, how much water are you using for strike and for the sparge?

if you're running out of room in your tun while batch sparging, you can always split it into two equal sparges.
The grain bill was 21.4 lbs, my strike water was 7.1 gal and sparge was supposed to be about 8.2 gallons, but I was only able to get about 7.2 gallons in the mash tun. I got about 4.25 gallons of first runnings, which is, I think is pretty average grain absorption. Where did I go wrong?

Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #210
GrogNerd
mean old man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1324 Times on 865 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
The grain bill was 21.4 lbs, my strike water was 7.1 gal and sparge was supposed to be about 8.2 gallons, but I was only able to get about 7.2 gallons in the mash tun. I got about 4.25 gallons of first runnings, which is, I think is pretty average grain absorption. Where did I go wrong?
you should measure to make sure the tun actually holds 52 quarts

my 70 quart tun inside measurements are 24.5" wide by 12.5" high by 10.5" deep = 3215.625 cubic inches = 55.68 quarts

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2