Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > All Brett beer fermentation start.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #31
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
Your still confused

1. Brettanomyces Lambicus is a strain of yeast
2. Brett Lambicus (yeast) doesnt contain any bacteria, it is a fungi
3. Brett Lambicus is only 1 of many many yeast and bacteria that go into making a lambic beer
4. Lambics are a type of beer
5. There are no "Brett Bacteria"

The growth on top of the beer is oxidative yeast and other bacteria forming a biofilm on top of the wort due to the presence of oxygen in the headspace

As far as the musty taste and aroma, this is what brett does, whether its brett brux, brett lambicus or brett c, they all produce various amounts of mousy,cheesy,goaty,horsey,sweaty flavors
So if I am confused so is Wyeast, who sells the Brett. L. They say it contains
lactic acid bacteria and you say it does not? I will copy the yeast description again below as I have done above. I am not as confused as you think. So far the both of you tell me the same thing which I already know about the yeast I purchased. As far as the growth I know all about what a beer brewing can look like. There is no way for you to know that what I have is not mold. I understand it may not be but it very well may be too.
I know Brett is not bacteria. But according to the package description is says it contains bacteria. My bad for saying Brett bacteria instead of saying the bacteria that came with the brett packaged yeast. It was just easier to write. Since they come in the same package to me they are collectively described as a Brett L. yeast. I can read you know.

You guys may be trying to help but so far all you have done is tell me what I already know. I know I am going to lose since you insist on telling me I am confused. Letís just drop this, ok? I will take it from here.

Product Description:
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend W3278: Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms most important for the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders. Propagator packs are best used with a yeast starter.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #32
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
So if I am confused so is Wyeast, who sells the Brett. L. They say it contains
lactic acid bacteria and you say it does not? I will copy the yeast description again below as I have done above. I am not as confused as you think. So far the both of you tell me the same thing which I already know about the yeast I purchased. As far as the growth I know all about what a beer brewing can look like. There is no way for you to know that what I have is not mold. I understand it may not be but it very well may be too.
I know Brett is not bacteria. But according to the package description is says it contains bacteria. My bad for saying Brett bacteria instead of saying the bacteria that came with the brett packaged yeast. It was just easier to write. Since they come in the same package to me they are collectively described as a Brett L. yeast. I can read you know.

You guys may be trying to help but so far all you have done is tell me what I already know. I know I am going to lose since you insist on telling me I am confused. Letís just drop this, ok? I will take it from here.

Product Description:
Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend W3278: Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria. While this mixture does not include all possible cultures found in Belgian Lambics, it is representative of the organisms most important for the desirable flavor components of these beers as they are brewed in West Flanders. Propagator packs are best used with a yeast starter.
That is a yeast blend, not a pure strain of Brett L. It is Brett L plus all the other things they mention.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #33
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You switched products on us:
Up until now we were discussing Wyest Brettanomyces Lambicus W5526:

Wild yeast isolated from Belgian lambic beers. Produces a pie cherry-like flavor and sourness along with distinct brett character. Ferments best in worts with reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun. May form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Works best in conjunction with other yeast and lactic bacteria to produce the classic Belgian character. Generally requires 3-6 months of aging to fully develop flavor characteristics.

W3278 contains several different types of organisms.
W5526 is a pure strain of Brettanomyces (lambicus).

Old 11-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #34
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDogBrewing View Post
You switched products on us:
Up until now we were discussing Wyest Brettanomyces Lambicus W5526:

Wild yeast isolated from Belgian lambic beers. Produces a pie cherry-like flavor and sourness along with distinct brett character. Ferments best in worts with reduced pH after primary fermentation has begun. May form a pellicle in bottles or casks. Works best in conjunction with other yeast and lactic bacteria to produce the classic Belgian character. Generally requires 3-6 months of aging to fully develop flavor characteristics.

W3278 contains several different types of organisms.
W5526 is a pure strain of Brettanomyces (lambicus).
Unintentionally, I looked up what I thought I purchased being I am at work and forgot I posted what I did buy earlier in the post to copy from so I guess I am confused there. But they were telling me:

#1 to expect a horse blanket character in the beer which is the other Brett which is the wrong brett.
#2 That brett is not a bacteria. I know this.
#3 That a growth on top is normal. I know this.
#4 To expect a funky tasting beer. I know this.
#5 Brett L. does not contain bacteria. I understand this, but like you said and they said Brett L. as it is called often will be packaged as such but may contain many strains of yeast and bacteria. I was just calling it Brett L. Next time I will be much more specific.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #35
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
#5 Brett L. does not contain bacteria. I understand this, but like you said and they said Brett L. as it is called often will be packaged as such but may contain many strains of yeast and bacteria. I was just calling it Brett L. Next time I will be much more specific.
Brett Lambicus does not contain bacteria, the LAMBIC BLEND will contain yeast and bacteria, and that is something totally separate from Brett Lambicus

The reason we are trying to put things straight is that its very difficult to understand your original question when you are mixing up Brett Lambicus (yeast w/no bacteria) and the Lambic blend

#1 - Im not really sure what you are refering to, But pretty much any brett strain will give horsey/sweaty flavors to some extent, even Brett C will put out some