Festbier World's Best Oktoberfest - Page 7 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > Festbier World's Best Oktoberfest

Old 09-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #61
TheGeek

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Indiana
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yup, been under 50F since brewed, its almost time to drink it. Honestly this is the longest I've ever waited to drink a brew, and being my first lager attempt, I'm really hoping it turns out nicely.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #62
Dhack61

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Gallatin, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
I brewed this today just as a single infusion at 155F. I pitched WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast cake from a Victory Prima Pils clone that I just racked to a lagering keg. I had other things I needed to do so I didn't do the decoctions. I will revisit this beer when I'm ready to do a decoction and it will be great to experience the difference between the two. My OG was 1.053. Mashed for nearly two hours. 90 min boil.
Was Wondering how this turned out with the Czech yeast?. Really would like to hear?.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #63
shelly_belly
Uncle John's Band
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Blow Southerners!
Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhack61 View Post
Was Wondering how this turned out with the Czech yeast?. Really would like to hear?.
Man, this beer was fantastic. I'll definitely be brewing this again. I won't waste my time on 5 gallons though, from now on it's going to be at least 10 gallons. My OG was 1.053 and FG was 1.012. This beer was dry, very crisp and very malty. No diacetyl. My best beer of 2011.

Hats off to KingBrianI. Thank you!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #64
Dhack61

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Gallatin, TN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Man, this beer was fantastic. I'll definitely be brewing this again. I won't waste my time on 5 gallons though, from now on it's going to be at least 10 gallons. My OG was 1.053 and FG was 1.012. This beer was dry, very crisp and very malty. No diacetyl. My best beer of 2011.

Thanks for the Info. I've gotta Czech Pilz with WY2278 that I'm gonna rack tomorrow and was looking for a good 10 gallon recipe to try out my new 80qt kettle. Thanks Again

Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #65
CrackShotHolmes
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Rockford, Michigan
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:

Was this the double decoction or the single infusion you mentioned on the previous page?

I know i am a bit late, but i really want to brew an Oktoberfest and I have been comparing this one to Yooper's and I think I want to brew this one. I have done DD in the past and it sure takes some serious time. I am hoping this is your single infusion that you are commenting about, then I'll brew it this weekend.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #66
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

Just saw this thread and figured I would post an old review I did of this beer that the King sent me back in 2009.

Reviewed August 3rd, 2009:

Aroma: 10/12
Caramel and bread with a sweet malt
Appearance: 1/3
Almost no head with a bit of haze, but the color is nice. (Obviously looking at the pics, the recipe can produce a very appealing beer, but my bottle wasn't quite as impressive)
Flavor: 17/20
Sweet malt, crisp finish, subtle hops, molasses high notes shine through
Mouthfeel: 3/5
Full up front, ends crisp, a bit more carbonation would brighten it up (I would guess this affected the appearance as well)
Overall: 7/10
Very good with nice depth and true to style. We felt a bit more carbonation would have been better. World's Best is a bold name, but this is a solid damn beer. I rarely score a beer this high.
Totals: 38/40

Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #67
shelly_belly
Uncle John's Band
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2009
Blow Southerners!
Liked 189 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackShotHolmes View Post
Was this the double decoction or the single infusion you mentioned on the previous page?

I know i am a bit late, but i really want to brew an Oktoberfest and I have been comparing this one to Yooper's and I think I want to brew this one. I have done DD in the past and it sure takes some serious time. I am hoping this is your single infusion that you are commenting about, then I'll brew it this weekend.
It was a single infusion. I have yet to do any kind of decoction.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #68
Irishwrench

Recipes 

Jun 2011
Johnston, RI
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Looks awesome. I researched the decoction process on youtube, real happy I did. I thought from the post that I was just drawing wort from mash tun and heating that to temps (newb). After seeing the video I think I have a better grasp on the process of removing the actual grains and getting them to a boil while constantly stirring. Going to have to wait to next weekend. Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait to try it, even better taste it!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #69
CrackShotHolmes
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Rockford, Michigan
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, I just brewed the OP's recipe with one minor change. I went with a single decoction instead of a double.

I rested the mash at 133F 20 minutes, withdrew my decoction, boiled for 10 minutes, then added decoction back to main mash and rested at 150F for 60 minutes. I then batched sparged 190F and rested at 168F for 10 minutes.

OG was a tick high at 1.064, but the color and taste is excellent so far. I pitched a 4L starter at 55F that i stepped up twice throughout the week(first time using a starter...*fingers crossed*)

Start to finish I was at it about 6 hours, so I am glad I just did a single decoction to save a little bit of time. I didn't want to exclude the decoction altogether, so I compromised.

I'll let you know how it turns out in about 6 months

Reason: Added content

Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #70
KingBrianI

Recipes 

May 2008
Durham, NC
Liked 110 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackShotHolmes View Post
Well, I just brewed the OP's recipe with one minor change. I went with a single decoction instead of a double.

I rested the mash at 133F 20 minutes, withdrew my decoction, boiled for 10 minutes, then added decoction back to main mash and rested at 150F for 60 minutes. I then batched sparged 190F and rested at 168F for 10 minutes.

OG was a tick high at 1.064, but the color and taste is excellent so far. I pitched a 4L starter at 55F that i stepped up twice throughout the week(first time using a starter...*fingers crossed*)

Start to finish I was at it about 6 hours, so I am glad I just did a single decoction to save a little bit of time. I didn't want to exclude the decoction altogether, so I compromised.

I'll let you know how it turns out in about 6 months
The wait will be worth it, you'll see!