Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #51
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hmm, maybe a two step saccharification rest with mashout. Infuse to like 146, let rest 15 minutes, pull a big decoction and add enough back to hit 156, then add the rest after 30 minutes or so to hit mashout. That way you decoct a large amount of the mash to get more flavor.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #52
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just took a sample today and it's down to 1.015 ish. I think after a minute some carb bubbles built up on the base of the hydrometer and started to push it up ever so slightly (is this credible?) Tasted the hydro sample anyway, cant wait for this to be fully ready.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 AM   #53
shelly_belly
Down By The River
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog House Brew View Post
Has anyone tried this with just doing a straight step mash w/o the decoction?
Wondering how it turned out. I really want to brew an Oktoberfest before temps in the celler get too warm for primary. Thought I would do some type of light lager and use the cake for this. That glass looks beautiful. Never have done a decoction mash before. I'm sure it builds complex flavors, but my normal brew day runs 8 hrs as is. I guess only because I'm brewing 16.5 gallon batches.
I brewed this today just as a single infusion at 155F. I pitched WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast cake from a Victory Prima Pils clone that I just racked to a lagering keg. I had other things I needed to do so I didn't do the decoctions. I will revisit this beer when I'm ready to do a decoction and it will be great to experience the difference between the two. My OG was 1.053. Mashed for nearly two hours. 90 min boil.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #54
TheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this yesterday as my very first lager! Also happens to be my first time using a decoction. Man, you guys aren't kidding it makes for a long brew day.

Anyway, I may have had an issue. My OG reading post boil was only 10.5brix (about 1.044). This is further off from the 1.059 that I read for the recipe than I would have liked. However my efficiency is typically 75% and I see that yours is 85%. So while that makes up for it in part, I think I'm still low. Also I pulled more wort than I typically get which I found odd because there was so much of the mash that was boiled and it was heated for much longer. I think I got nearly 7.5gal of wort.

So I guess my question is what are the easiest ways to lose efficiency while doing a decoction?

In any case, the boil went well and the color is good. Pitch went well also, fermentation started pretty quick for me. The aroma, oh the aroma was amazing. Gonna be difficult to wait until October for this brew.

EDIT: I did some BeerCalculus and since I still has about 6gal post boil, the numbers jive. Oh well, I'll enjoy 6 gallons of 4% oktoberfest just as much as 5 gallons of 5%! lol

Old 04-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #55
sparkyaber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The geek: That usually ends up being my problem, just a little to much wort.

Well, it is a few months late, but I am brewing this recipe for the third year in a row. This year, we are going to try the step mash instead of the decoction mash. Will post back with the exact schedule, and I will let everyone in the fall know how it tastes.
Carboy#1 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#2 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#3 Black IPA
Carboy#4 Black IPA
Carboys#5-14 m-t
3 Gallon m-t
Keg#1 Hops in Session
Keg#2 Yoopper's IPA
Kegs #3-12 m-t
Bottled: Holiday Ale, RIS 2011, Chocolate Espresso Porter, Vanilla Porter, Oktoberfest, Mai Bock, Old Vine Zin, Pinot Noir, Chocolate Raspberry Port,

Old 08-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #56
Champurrado
Recipes 

Brewed this "Decemberfest" a few weeks ago and right now it's sitting in the primary having a diacetyl rest at 58 degrees. This was the first decoction for me so I'm interested in finding out how the flavor will be affected.
With my other lagers I generally do not gas the keg during secondary/laggering phase. I read another brewer's post recently that indicated the keg should be force car bed for this part of the final fermentation.

Fact or fiction?

By the way, this brewer recently wona trip to Prague for his pilsner so I'm leaning towards the idea that gas is good here.

Appreciate any responses.

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #57
TheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey all. I've managed to keep this beer out of my gut since March and I am stoked that Its nearly time to drink it. One thing. After the primary for 3 weeks I racked to a secondary and I have left it in the secondary since. Was this a good call? I was leaning toward "don't expose it anymore than necessary" but wasn't sure if sitting on the small amount of yeast layer left in the vessel would affect taste. In either case I'm kegging it tomorrow to give it a month to carb.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #58
Champurrado
Recipes 

I think you'll be fine. I left a kolsch in secondary for a while in a keg and when I transferred it to the serving keg for the final leg, it tasted just like it should. You're way ahead of me on your octoberfest. I just transferred out of primary this week. Pretty tasty so far.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #59
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champurrado View Post
Brewed this "Decemberfest" a few weeks ago and right now it's sitting in the primary having a diacetyl rest at 58 degrees. This was the first decoction for me so I'm interested in finding out how the flavor will be affected.
With my other lagers I generally do not gas the keg during secondary/laggering phase. I read another brewer's post recently that indicated the keg should be force car bed for this part of the final fermentation.

Fact or fiction?

By the way, this brewer recently wona trip to Prague for his pilsner so I'm leaning towards the idea that gas is good here.

Appreciate any responses.

Cheers.
I've also heard that but don't know whether it is a nod to tradition or if it actually plays some role in yeast activity. I know that traditionally lagers were carbonated by allowing the CO2 produced at the end of fermentation to be trapped in the vessel and pressurize the headspace. I know that pressure can cause yeast to produce less off-flavors for a given temperature than beer fermented at ambient pressure, hence the practice of fermenting lagers at ale temps in pressurized containers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeek View Post
Hey all. I've managed to keep this beer out of my gut since March and I am stoked that Its nearly time to drink it. One thing. After the primary for 3 weeks I racked to a secondary and I have left it in the secondary since. Was this a good call? I was leaning toward "don't expose it anymore than necessary" but wasn't sure if sitting on the small amount of yeast layer left in the vessel would affect taste. In either case I'm kegging it tomorrow to give it a month to carb.
What temp has the secondary been? If 50 F or below then your beer should be perfect. If warmer it should still be good, but a cold-storage or lagering would have made it even better.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #60
Champurrado
Recipes 

King:

Appreciate the quick reply. Have yet to carb the secondary for a lager and so far, without secondary carbonation, my lagers have been pretty tasty. I usually burp the secondary kegs from time to time.

I also heard that too much carbonation in secondary is counterproductive at layering temps (34-39).

For now, I think I'll stick with what works for me.