Originally Posted by Tarks
Anyone? I'm looking to brew this tomorrow and would appreciate the help. Cheers
This was my first decoction, so here's my lessons learned:
1. I repeatedly missed my step temps by about 5-10F, I think because I could have used a bit more quantity in my decoctions. My calculations appeared to be spot on, just needed more at higher temp
2. 10 gallons takes a long time to heat on gas and cool. Started 8pm, ended 5:30 in fermenter.
I ditched BeerSmith per recommendation from the BeerSmith forum.
I only used it for Dough in and Sparge calcs. Manual calculations:
MashVolume = GrainWeight x (water/grain ratio + 0.32)
Then, for each decoction, I used the following forumula:
DecocVolume = MashVol x ( (target temp end - temp start) / (decoction temp - temp start) )
for example, with MashVolume of 48.72qts to calc mashout
48.72 x ((168-154) / (212-154)) = 11.76qts + 20% = ~14qts
For my water ratio, I had:
1. Dough In 34qts to hit 100F, rest 20min
2. Decoc 1 20qts, raise temp to 154, rest 20min
3. Added decoc back to raise mash temp to 133, rest 20min
4. Decoc 2 15qts, bring to boil, boil 20min
5. Added decoc back to raise mash temp to 154, rest 40min
6. Decoc 3 13qts, bring to boil
7. Added decoc back to raise mash temp to 168, rest 20min
8 Fly sparge at 168
I hit 1.056 on pre boil quantity of 12.5gallons.
Hope this helps.
PS. mash schedule calls for lots of resting...but my back is sore today.