Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > European Amber Lager > All-Grain - World's Best Oktoberfest

Old 08-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #111
oasisbliss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Shelly, did it turn out awesome when doing a single infusion?

Trick, I will try that one as well!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #112
shelly_belly
Down By The River
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Definitely was awesome. It was the first beer I've made that I did not give any away. That would have meant less for me. I even had to ration myself on the last gallon - I did not want it to end. Mind you though, this is probably my favorite style of beer.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #113
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Perfect ! - thanks for the feedback

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #114
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Update.

My brew is starting to improve with some time. I thought I had lagered it long enough (8 weeks) but I guess not. It continues to improve... Not as malty as I had hoped however.

TD

Old 08-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #115
Ply318ci
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Brewed this today (2 gallon batch) but I don't have The ability to ferment in the low 50's for lager yeast, so I am using S-05 in one gallon and Munich yeast (yes a wheat yeast just for poops and giggles) in the other gallon. I am keeping them in a cold water bath to keep fermentation temps down to the low 60's. (best i can do) hoping for clean fermentation and then "Lagering" in the fridge for a few weeks. Very excited.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #116
asco
Recipes 

Hey... I have made This beer and it is now lagering at correct temparaturs, have been sitting there for 6 weeks now, so going to bottle ind 2....

But are there enough yest to carb at This time? Dont have any exstra yeast ....

Also i have tried to taste it and it seams a bit thin...and the color is not as the first FOTO ind here... What could be wrong? I did make it as single infusion???

Old 08-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #117
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by asco

Also i have tried to taste it and it seams a bit thin...and the color is not as the first FOTO ind here... What could be wrong? I did make it as single infusion???

The last two words I think is the reason why. Personally, I think the relatively simple grist needs the decoction to intensify flavors and bring a little complexity to the malt profile. I don't think that a single infusion is going to be able to duplicate the effects of boiling the grain. Also, a low mash temp can promote a thin beer as you probably already know. What temp was your infusion? I did a step mash and noticed the same thin characteristics you're describing. I think some extended lagering is possibly helpful as well.

As far as bottling concerns. If you are worried about not enough yeast to bottle condition/carbonate, you could always add more yeast, and let it stay in the secondary until you have some.

TD

Old 08-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #118
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
Definitely was awesome. It was the first beer I've made that I did not give any away. That would have meant less for me. I even had to ration myself on the last gallon - I did not want it to end. Mind you though, this is probably my favorite style of beer.
Shelly, what ferm schedule did you use?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #119
shelly_belly
Down By The River
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I did 2 weeks @ 48F, 2 weeks at room temp (low 60s) and then racked to a keg and lagered for 5 months mostly in the low 30s. I put this beer on top of full yeast cake of wlp 802 czech budejovice from a pilsner I kegged the same day.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #120
oasisbliss
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly_belly View Post
I did 2 weeks @ 48F, 2 weeks at room temp (low 60s) and then racked to a keg and lagered for 5 months mostly in the low 30s. I put this beer on top of full yeast cake of wlp 802 czech budejovice from a pilsner I kegged the same day.
sounds good - thanks
could I take the 5 months down to 2 or 3? or is the 5 a necessity?