10,000 yr old glacier ice for my water source in the next batch..... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 10,000 yr old glacier ice for my water source in the next batch.....

Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Medo

Recipes 

Apr 2008
North Pole Alaska
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
Well my mother is up from the states visiting, so I broke down and took her and the family down to Valdez, Alaska for a night. While I was down there, we stopped at the Worthington Glacier north of the pass, and, with pick axe in one hand, and a coleman extreme in the other, I hiked about a mile and a half to the base, and a quarter mile upside the mtn, to reach the glacial ice. I took my wife out as well. We picked enough to pack the cooler full, and then about killed ourselves hauling this cooler down the mtn. As a 49 year old tub, it was my ex military training as a grunt that still had me imagine I could do such silly stunts at my age. But, the wife and I persevered, and we made it back to the truck with load intact. The ice I have has been frozen in this glacier since before Christ, the pyramids, Rome, to name a few. Everyone who asked me what could possibly cause me to drag that cooler in and out ( as they were using the spotting scope to see just how far we went to get this ) were more then satisfied with my answer " Im going to brew a glacial ale".
Until I melt it down and see just what I have and how smal the batch will be, I will not choose the recipe yet.
Anyway, I wanted to share with those who might care. Ill let everyone know how this one goes.....
I bid you a great day......

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
KYB
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts

That's awesome. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Feb 2008
North Phoenix, AZ

wow this is sweet... you know about how many pounds of ice you collected?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Zen_Brew

Recipes 

May 2009
Seattle
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts

Glacial Ale huh? That is pretty wild. Definitely interested in how it turns out.

Hopefully you don't start growing some embryo from a pre-historic monster in there or something.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
bakersbrew

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

very admirable sir...really, its incredible. 10,000 years. i would like to try some of that

Old 06-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
GodsStepBrother

Recipes 

Apr 2009
, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

I was in Argentina, and visited one of the worlds biggest glaciers and the only one still growing. I went hiking on it and i had the exact idea. However it was to remote and I had to hiked a lot and went on a boat to just get to it. I then found it impossible to take water all the way back to the states. Non the less the water tasted amazing. We took a bottle of johnny walker and drake a cup on the rocks using the glacier ice. AMAZING!! i cant wait to see how it turns out! The envy eats me...

here's a pic of the glacier i visited.
http://www.eviajado.com/files/media/el-calafate-1.jpg

Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Spludge

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Alaska
Liked 29 Times on 9 Posts

Sweet! I wanted to do the same with the water we were drinking while sheep hunting in the Talkeetna Mountains. Tastiest water ever and full of minerals. Glad to see someone had big enough kahunas to follow through. Let us know how she turns out!

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Old 06-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
jacketsfans
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Ohio

You'll need help next time. Call me. I've always wanted to visit Alaska anyway.

@nhlcyclesophist

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would use glacier hops in that beer!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Let's see Budweiser pull off a stunt like that on a commercial scale!

Great stuff!