My All Simcoe Pale Ale - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My All Simcoe Pale Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
Ivan Lendl
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,290
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts



Is awesome! The bitterness is a tad harsh but not too much. The nose is similar to northern brewer but unique. Its pretty damn good!

Ive got a single hopped Yakima Magnum PA that will be done in a few weeks ill keep yall posted.
__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,770
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts


Isn't that pineapple aroma from those simcoes awesome? One of my favorite hops as far as aroma.

We gotta get together and brew dude. At least exchange some brews.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:19 AM   #3
Glibbidy
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,369
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
Is awesome! The bitterness is a tad harsh but not too much. The nose is similar to northern brewer but unique. Its pretty damn good!
I'd like to experiment with Simcoe, but this is confusing

It's awesome , but a tad harsh? Sounds like a bong rip of AK47 to me.

What do you like most about it?
Do the AAU make it harsh and take it over the top?
Would it work better with a neutral kettle hop like perle to reduce the harshness?
Feedback my man!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
Ivan Lendl
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,290
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbidy
I'd like to experiment with Simcoe, but this is confusing

It's awesome , but a tad harsh? Sounds like a bong rip of AK47 to me.

What do you like most about it?
Do the AAU make it harsh and take it over the top?
Would it work better with a neutral kettle hop like perle to reduce the harshness?
Feedback my man!
Its just a tad harsh like youd get with chinook but not as bad. The ibu's are only about 45 with an og of 1.042, for comparison ive got a similar pa i used columbus for bittering and simcoe for flavor/aroma (but dry hopped with amarillo) and that beer is around 55 ibu's but has a more clean bitterness.

I think next time ill bitter with columbus and flavor/aroma/dry hop with simcoe. that should be the ****!

I like it because it is different i guess.
__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 AM   #5
Ivan Lendl
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,290
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Isn't that pineapple aroma from those simcoes awesome? One of my favorite hops as far as aroma.

We gotta get together and brew dude. At least exchange some brews.
Definitely! I think im done brewing untill september though because well, have you been outside lately? hopefully this 117 degree heat index crap wont last too much longer!

I just bleached out my primary today and im icthin to get something in it already...
__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Glibbidy
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,369
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


I'll have to give these hops a try and expand my horizons. Could you possibly attribute a bittering harshness to a higher cohumulone ratio with this hop?

Different is good. Thanks for the insight.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,770
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Agassi
Definitely! I think im done brewing untill september though because well, have you been outside lately? hopefully this 117 degree heat index crap wont last too much longer!

I just bleached out my primary today and im icthin to get something in it already...
Yeah, I'm not brewing this month either. It is miserable. To keep my streak alive--I'm doing a mead.

I'd like to brew one more time with SwAMi, he leaves inearly September. Gotta pick a day and do that hop harvest ale.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
Ivan Lendl
 
Ivan Lendl's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wimbledon Finals
Posts: 1,290
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
Yeah, I'm not brewing this month either. It is miserable. To keep my streak alive--I'm doing a mead.

I'd like to brew one more time with SwAMi, he leaves inearly September. Gotta pick a day and do that hop harvest ale.
Are you gonna enter anything in that 'Blue ridge Brew Off' In Asheville NC (i think)?
I am just to get feedback.
__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Simcoe/Amarillo Pale Ale BeaverBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 4 04-07-2009 09:36 PM
Simcoe in a Pale Ale. hukdizzle Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-20-2009 02:29 PM
What to do with 1.5 oz simcoe? jeder212 Recipes/Ingredients 7 01-06-2009 02:42 AM
Simcoe? cuinrearview Hops Growing 2 07-08-2008 11:58 PM
American Pale Ale Simcoe Pale Ale Ivan Lendl Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 02-04-2007 04:19 AM


Forum Jump