Please tell me this is Krausen... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Please tell me this is Krausen...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Tsuyako
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Washington US
Posts: 331
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts



So this is my pumpkin ale that is not clarifying and now has a funky bubble like foam (hoping REALLY hoping it's krausen).

See

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...m/P6110013.JPG

Forgot to mention that it's in the secondary.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
SavageSteve
 
SavageSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Connecticut
Posts: 987
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts


Looks normal to me. There are a few reasons to have some foam reappear in a secondary vessel-- change in temperature (CO2 will come out of solution and could create a foam) or fermentation not really done.

Did you check your specific gravity to see if fermentation is done? Has the ambient temperature risen?

-Steve
__________________
On Deck: Jamil's Vanilla Robust Porter
Fermenting: Orange Blossom Mead
Kegs: Element 56 Pale Ale, Ron's Belgian Blonde, Summer'n Saison, Furloughktoberfest '09, Grateful Pale Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout Clone, EdWort's Apfelwein
Planning: n/a

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
arover
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 289
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I've had that several times before in my secondary as well. I always get the weirdest looking beer when it comes time to rest in the secondary, and I always freak out, and it always ends up coming out fine. I usually just comfort myself by going and looking at pictures of REAL infected fermentations online

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
Tsuyako
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Washington US
Posts: 331
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


If anything I moved it to a cooler place, the downstairs can get really cold at times.

And no, actually I forgot to take a OG and a week later I still hadn't so I was just being lazy and transfered it. It's been in the secondary for almost two weeks now. I'm going to leave it there for another week or so until I can buy some bottles.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Tsuyako
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Washington US
Posts: 331
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


Glad to know I'm not the only one who freaks out at the simplest things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
I've had that several times before in my secondary as well. I always get the weirdest looking beer when it comes time to rest in the secondary, and I always freak out, and it always ends up coming out fine. I usually just comfort myself by going and looking at pictures of REAL infected fermentations online

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
arover
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego, CA
Posts: 289
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyako View Post
If anything I moved it to a cooler place, the downstairs can get really cold at times.

And no, actually I forgot to take a OG and a week later I still hadn't so I was just being lazy and transfered it. It's been in the secondary for almost two weeks now. I'm going to leave it there for another week or so until I can buy some bottles.
No! Recycle! Go to a bar on a sunday morning, ask them if you can take the bottles from the recycling bin (Most bars around here lock their bins), and you'll be set for the next few batches. Clean and delabel, and you'll be happy you did in the end. I dunno about you, but aside from the bitch that delabeling is (even with soaking the bottles in oxyclean for days), I still get great satisfaction when it's all done. Who pays for bottles these days, anyways?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #7
Tsuyako
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Washington US
Posts: 331
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts


Problem is I don't know where any of the bars are around here and I'm not a huge fan of delabeling.

Anyway, question two is should I rake it again? To a thirdary (is that even a word?)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
chemman14
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,649
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arover View Post
No! Recycle! Go to a bar on a sunday morning, ask them if you can take the bottles from the recycling bin (Most bars around here lock their bins), and you'll be set for the next few batches. Clean and delabel, and you'll be happy you did in the end. I dunno about you, but aside from the bitch that delabeling is (even with soaking the bottles in oxyclean for days), I still get great satisfaction when it's all done. Who pays for bottles these days, anyways?
the problem with bottles at bars is most of them will be screw top. I just delabeled my first bottles for my first batch. All it took was a soak in oxyclean overnight and all the labels were gone.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #9
Rick500
 
Rick500's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
KY
Posts: 2,612
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


Tertiary. No, leave it alone, it's fine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #10
biertag
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
PA
Posts: 19

Shouldn't you have your secondary in a 5 gallon carboy and filled to the neck? Once you have the brew up to the neck of the carboy the surface area for contamination is smaller.
__________________
Primary: empty
Secondary: Pineapple Pale Ale
Keg 1: Schwarzbier
Keg 2: empty

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krausen?? imlvngded Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-18-2009 02:14 PM
Krausen EddieWess General Beer Discussion 8 11-05-2008 09:09 PM
US-05 -- Big Krausen? KingBrianI Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-24-2008 01:37 AM
No krausen HoosierDaddy General Techniques 4 04-06-2008 11:07 PM
Never Had Krausen AndrewKemendo General Techniques 7 10-20-2007 02:55 PM


Forum Jump