Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Chill Experiment

Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
gxm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No Chill Experiment

After reading the Exploring No Chill thread, I'd like to do an experiment for myself.

Since I already brew two 5 gallon batches at a time, one will be chilled, the other no-chill.
I want to keep the recipe simple, so I'm thinking a balanced Smash recipe. Each 5 gallons will be:
8.7# Maris Otter
0.6 oz First Gold 9.5% at 60m (40m for no-chill)
0.5 oz Golding 5% at 20m (Cube Hop for no-chill)
1 packet rehydrated US-05
OG - 1.050
Mash at 154F
90m boil to drive off SMM

I've done a few MO smashes, so I know what to expect there, and I want the malt & hops to be balanced, with mellow english hops that won't overwhelm off flavors. If all goes well, I'll brew a light lager as the next part of the experiment.

Since I don't have a cube yet, I was going to let the no-chill just sit in the covered 8g boil kettle for 24 hours before pitching. I know it will suck in about a quart of air, and I find it hard to care much about it.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions, unless your comment is "You will get ruined/infected beer", because that is why I'm doing it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think you will find that it works quite well. I am interested in hearing your results. My SNPA no chill is awesome!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm interested as well.

/subscribes

My first no chill is bottle conditioning right now and my second is in primary. I haven't chilled in a cube yet either...I use my Ale Pail. I just walk by and bleed a little air in every once in a while for the first little bit.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm still waiting for my cubes to come off of backorder, but I'll be watching this thread intently.

I heart sour beer

Old 06-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Alright, I'm set to brew this in the next week.

Pol, I was especially curious if you had any suggestions on the hopping schedule, which is largely based on your chart.
And while I said Smash above, and then quote 2 hops, I want to use up the last of my older goldings before breaking into the fresh EKGs from hopsdirect.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
Alright, I'm set to brew this in the next week.

Pol, I was especially curious if you had any suggestions on the hopping schedule, which is largely based on your chart.
And while I said Smash above, and then quote 2 hops, I want to use up the last of my older goldings before breaking into the fresh EKGs from hopsdirect.
I have no real recommendations... the chart that I created is the only guidance that I have currently. That may be revised down the road, but it will take further brewing and I dont suspect the changes will be drastic.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #7
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'm brewing this now. With a 50% split of sugars, and since both boils can end at the same time, this brew day is proceeding nicely
Also, with a 90 minute boil, I've got lots of time to leisurely measure out hops, rack other beers to kegs, etc. As I was kegging a beer last night, I realized that with no chill, I don't need the fermenter ahead of time, which is one more thing not to worry about on brew day.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:14 AM   #8
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Chilled Ale is pitched @ 68F, 5 gallons, 1.048 @ 60F.

For the No Chill Ale, since I don't have a cube, I star-san'd the lid on the kettle, and put the lid on at knockout. Also, I let it sit for 10 minutes before adding the cube hops.
I'll pitch this tomorrow night.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
roylee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For those with containers on back order from US plastics, I talked to them yesterday and was told they have plenty of cubes--they're out of lids. Lids due in Friday or Monday. I'll be watching the gxm experiment (fwiw I did 5 or 6 no chill batches last summer but without a suitable cube. First few were fine, no different than the same recipe chilled, then two infected so I went back to the chiller. When the pails POL recommended get here I'll try again... lots of advantages to doing it no chill).

Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Pangea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages to no-chill?